is it possible? 1600W step-down transformer so tiny!

Hi,

I've recently moved to London in the UK and brought along my trusty cooker. It states that it requires 120V @60/1235 watts. After some research on the net it was apparant that transformers that provide > 1000W are at least the size of a shoebox and around $70-100. However, I later came across a transformer sold by jWin which rates upto 1600W and is as small as an average 100w transformer and costs about $10. You can see it here -

I called the shop selling them and they confirmed the specs.... am I wasting my time? You get what you pay for right? Any help would be much appreciated.

James

Reply to
James Kelly

Ooh, how much? That's pretty.

It might work... make sure you have homeowners or renters insurance.

What kind of cooker? Can't you just use the stove? Or buy a new cooker? Which would be cheaper?

Reply to
onehappymadman

My understanding is that the tiny converters are basically TRIAC switches which switch at a point to deliver the correct amount of RMS power (but a really funky waveform) to a purely resistive load.

They are not good for sensitive electronics. They might not even be good for a hairdryer's blower. But, assuming your cooker is just a big resistive load I think it'll be OK.

I had a co-worker with a "fuzzy logic" rice cooker once and always kidded him about having to reboot it. So at least some cookers have some smarts in them and not all are just stupid resistors!

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

Aw, no microwave ovens then? Pity...

Reply to
onehappymadman

The 50W rating is for a 3 minute shave.....

The 1600W figure is Peak Shaving Power Output, PSPO.

DNA

Reply to
Genome

Reply to
Slurp

Note that the power converter (it is not a transformer) isn't rated for continuous use. I'm not sure whether your cooker application constitutes 'continuous use' - but if it does, prepare to be disappointed.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

What sort of things do you cook with a 1235 watt cooker???. That's nearly a third of my electric kettle!!

You sure the rating is not 12350 watts which would be more reasonable. As someone else hinted - get yourself a £29.99 800W 240V microwave, much safer and more efficient!

Reply to
Slurp

My understanding is, that some of the cheaper '230 to 115 volt converters' just contain a diode. Which indeed halfs the applied power :-)

Do you get what you pay for ? Sure. Peanuts for monkeys :-)

Just one word of advice: DON'T :-)

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok

Note that it says 'converter', not 'transformer'. These units are basically solid state switchers. They can work well, but with a lot of caveats. Many units expecting a particular waveform, will hate them. Also, a 'cooker', that is rated at 1235W when running, will typically draw many times this rating for a few seconds whenever the element switches on. Whereas a transformer can withstand this sort of momentary overload, switchers like this have less margin...

Best Wishes

Reply to
Roger Hamlett

Yikes, ok so I bought it, its only $10 and I'll take the chance.... Any danger though? Could this cause the convertor to melt/explode/catch fire.....? Thanks again everyone.

Reply to
James Kelly

If it doesn't have adequate protection and the triac fails short circuit, it could put 240V into your oven, which needless to say will cause a lot of damage or even a fire.

Dave

Reply to
Dave D

I would highly recommend investing 10 pounds or so in a good ABC fire extinguisher.

Just a thought.

Reply to
onehappymadman

I'd just watch and make sure it doesn't over heat. It may work. It may not.. I wouldn't be worried about explosion but it could potentialy burn up your pizza cooker's motor.

- Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

Buy another identical cooker and wire the two in series.

Reply to
I.F.

I note that the unit doesn't appear to provide a ground connection. This doesn't exactly give me warm fuzzies...

Reply to
Greg Neill

Also as with any small appliance don't leave it plugged in when not using it due to the danger of fire.

- Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

And also ruin a perfectly good pizza.

Reply to
onehappymadman

My new rice cooker is neuro-fuzzy. Just about perfect rice, but it takes longer than my old National (Matsushita) rice cooker (which has worked flawlessly for decades).

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Take my advice- don't take chances with 240V supplies. It is far easier to get a fatal shock from 220/240V than N American 120V supplies, although ELCBs are very common now.. Using one of these cheap converters is dicing with danger, if a short occurs and damages the converter, full 240V mains voltage will be present in your appliance, and because there's seemingly no earth on this converter, if there's a short to the oven's case you could be killed- it's that simple. Even steam/moisture settling inside the oven could bridge from live to chassis causing a shock hazard.

I can tell you by just looking at the picture that this converter is clearly not intended for use with apparatus like ovens, and it doesn't appear to be intended for use with earthed appliances. Either keep this converter for a CD player or shaver, or send it back! I would even go so far as to say it is not safe to plug into a UK wall outlet. It will require a UK 3-pin to 'shaver' style converter for starters, which are not intended to be used for appliances drawing 5 Amps!

Incidentally, there's also the issue of liability should anything happen, is it worth it?

Dave

Reply to
Dave D