all

uit' devices

Euro),

conrad.nl).

into a PC par port pin,

command Y).

of the 430 MHz module,

other name in the UK and elsewhere.

including car keys^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H.

pin that is for sure.

There are USB IR XMTR and RCVR modules reasonably available.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

There are power line Ethernet hookups and Ethernet power relays. With a wireless bridge you have it all. Just put it together. Security may be an issue.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

devices

conrad.nl).

par port pin,

430 MHz module,

name in the UK and elsewhere.

keys^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H.

is for sure.

Might be worth looking into. Having everything interfaced with TCP/IP is long overdue

--
Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - Magick and Technology
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

What I need is an addressable HomePlug switch

--
Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - Magick and Technology
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Why don't you just get a PLC and operate a Web sever to it.

You can have all the switches you need over TCP.

And for a stand alone web device that can talk to other things

And if you want to get to the building of things level you can use this with some software in your PC to talk to it. This is most likely the best solution for the home control system from the ground up and it's cheap, do it yourself solution.

{47}0-24-Ethernet-IO-Controller

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

{47}0-24-Ethernet-IO-Controller

What I really want is a Homeplug device that is addressable, plugs into the mains, and which I then plug my power cable into and which will switch the power. Having some huge box hang off the wall is a bit pointless, as is a central distribution hub with power cables running across the room.

Something like this, but with an addressable relay on board:

Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - Magick and Technology
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

{47}0-24-Ethernet-IO-Controller

Ok, Use X10 wireless switch, firecracker interface and this software.

My self, I would just write a basic web Server on a PC and use a serial port to control a relay.

A basic web page front end to control and monitor the serial port, etc.

But that is me, because I know how to do the coding for such things.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

located

would

be

I just tossed that at a search engine that is the network side of the equation add the "Ethernet power switch" (it will have a settable = address) and you are home. Unfortunately not inexpensive.

Network component

The power switch component:

witch.html

Does this get you where you want to go?

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Dirk,

How about an Ethernet-controlled power socket?

Computer Geeks

had this unit until recently:

USB Net Power 8800 Single Outlet Network AC Power Controller - Remote, Local & Programmed Control of AC-Powered Devices

While it is currently out of stock, the specs there should give you some idea of what other items might be available.

Google found several of these with eBay listings and for sale at

for $31USD. Be sure to get the 8800US and not the

8800OK version unless you're planning to offshore your working quarters.

Here's a link to a UK version

NP-8800 USB Net Power Mains Switch

which has a link to a user manual.

Hope this helps...

Frank McKenney

--
  It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to
  guard the people against the dangers of good intentions.  There

Not really, because it has not got to look out of place here:

So some big ugly box with power leads and an ethernet cable running everywhere is right out. Each of those speakers must connect to the mains through the net switch, which must either be invisible or look like a wall wart

--
Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - Magick and Technology
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Close, but I cannot have three or more USB leads connecting into the sockets around the room. I need something invisible, hence my original IR request. Ideally, it would be controlled by ethernet over mains and just look like a normal(ish) power socket

--
Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - Magick and Technology
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

XXX Ethernet

Ah. Yes, you'd have to pair each of the Ethernet-controlled switches with another module, something like one of these:

DHP-301 PowerLine HD Network Starter Kit

Soooo... we screw down a quad outlet to provide enough outlets to plug in one PowerLine module and one 8800US Ethernet-controlled switch, and we jumper a short (4"?) piece of Cat-5 to connect the one to the other...

But the end result is, admittedly, somewhat short of your aesthetic requirements. A single module combining both would be a nice replacement for an X-10 module.

So close...

Frank

--
  My experience of men has neither disposed me to think worse of them
  nor indisposed me to serve them; nor, in spite of failures which I

That's what I cannot understand. People who are doing Homeplug stuff are already running TCP/IP over the house wiring. How hard can it be to add a chip with a stack and drive a relay? It seems so obvious its a no-brainer for manufacturers of HomePlug devices. It would instantly give them a foothold at the center of a home automation system for very little investment.

--
Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - Magick and Technology
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Outlets should be no problem. OTOH, switches may be. I don't think you could do an Ethernet device on the leakage that X-10 uses.

Reply to
krw

You don't need to. The device would be powered directly from the mains. Whether it passes through that mains supply depends on the relay

--
Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - Magick and Technology
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

The electronics still need power.

Reply to
krw

could

Yes, which it gets from the mains. Live on one side, relay, live/disconnected on the other depending on state of relay.

--
Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - Magick and Technology
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

could

Once the relay is closed, where's the power? Is leakage through a load enough to power the electronics? That's the question. What about CFLs and such?

Reply to
krw

could

I don't understand. The electronics is powered from the mains, which is always on. Whether the mains is allowed out of the socket via the relay depends on the command.

--
Dirk

http://www.neopax.com/technomage/ - Magick and Technology
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

could

Neutral may not exist in the switch box. It gets more complicated from there, when 3-way and 4-way are added into the mix.

But the decode takes energy with the relay on or off. Where does it come from?

Reply to
krw