IR adapter hack

I would like some help in hacking an IR printer adapter made for the HP 350c printer. This is a tiny pc board with a minimum of components connected via

8 wires to a parallel printer connector. I would like to put this to use as a serial port to IRDA device if possible. Yes, I know there are probably simpler ways, but this is a very tiny board, and I'd like to learn from it anyway.

This board is different from others I have torn into. It has an IRDA transmitter/receiver encoder/decoder similar to but a bit smaller than the HSDL7001 but only has the numbers R800 and 016A on the back. This is a through hole, 9 staggered pin device. This adapter was sold by HP so is this R800 an HP part? Wish I had a data sheet!

In addition there is a small crystal with the frequency 3.68 mhz but no processor......but does have 3 transistors, 2 resistors, and 2 capacitors (all surface mount). I think this is the frequency specified for 16xclk.

On the connector side, the only used pins are:

18 +5v 19 gnd 10 low-ack 1 low data strobe 13 high 12 high-paper end 19 gnd

19-31-36 (low) (gnd) are all conncted

11-16 connected (gnd)

The presence of the crystal leads me to believe that the baud rate is taken care of already, on-board. So how do I go about finding where the rx and tx connections should be. Or is this even possible? The circuit is obviosly getting it's power (5v) from the printer.

Thanks Jim

Reply to
Jim