Philips PM3262 Oscope failure

I picked up a Philips PM3262 Oscope at my town's recycling center. it looks like it has been well used.

I plugged it in and turned it on. It worked normally for about 2 minutes and then shut down. The ckt breaker on it did not pop. The "ON" light was off. After I let it sit for a while, this repeated.

I don't have schematics and when I took the covers off I did not see anything obviously out of kilter.

Has anyone had this problem and fixed it easily? If so, could you post the fix?

Thanks in advance.

Al

Reply to
Al

Is this a design issue? No. Then find the right newsgroup for it.

Mark Zenier's guide to the hierarchy would be a really good place to start: ftp://ftp.eskimo.com/u/m/mzenier/seguide9706.txt

It's ridiculous that we are seeing repair questions in the other newsgroups of the hierarchy and in sci.electronics.repair questions that belong elsewhere.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

What is this crapola I got from the above. It's almost unreadable.

Reply to
Al

First check and replace bad electrolytic capacitors in the power supply.

Reply to
Damir

What are you using to read it with? It's your standard unix text file, using newlines. There's also a slightly updated version here in the newsgroup. Posted March 24th or 25th.

Mark Zenier snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Googleproofaddress(account:mzenier provider:eskimo domain:com)

Reply to
Mark Zenier

I would think it is the power supply doing a thermal shutdown. This can be many things - often the filter capacitors dry out after many years. That is where I would start. One rectifier diode could also be short and it would run for a while like that. Rust, Corrosion, drying of the white gunk under the main regulator so it has no cooling is also seen before (beware that if it is a switcher, the heat sink may well be at mains potential).

There *is* a sci.electronics.repair group - someone in there might have been there?

Reply to
frithiof.jensen