6V AC Adapter help

We''ve got a baby swing that eats four D batteries faster than my son can empty a 1/2 full bottle of breast milk. I'd like to get an AC adapter and wire it up to do the job. I've got my soldering merit badge but this would be new territory for me. Here's my plan so far:

  1. Buy a 6V adapter and cut the plug end off
  2. Separate and strip the two wires
  3. Solder each wire to a respective + and - battery terminal
  4. Solder a separate piece of wire to different terminals to close the circuit
  5. Plug it in

Will that do it? If not, anyone up for a bit of handholding?

I will check the group for replies but emailing me directly would make my life easier. (I will however post a reply with the final results/advice for archiving purposes)

Thanks in advance,

-Cam

Reply to
camtk421

I'd think that would work, although you could open up the baby swing box and you should find two wires in there coming from the battery compartment, It could be neater to wire the adaptor up here instead of to the battery terminals. Even better would be to get hold of a socket for the ac adapter, drill a hole in the side of the case and mount it so that you can use either batteries or the AC adapter. But DONT use both at the same time else you will have problems if the adapter started charging non-rechargable batteries.

In any case, step 4. would probably be unnecessary, there are usually only two terminals in the battery compartment that you need to connect, the rest of them just link the batteries together in series so you end up with batteries in series like:

-[ }[ }[ }[ } +

So just find where the two end terminals are and wire them up to the adapter.

Make sure the adapter you get is up to the job - something like this sounds like it would pull a few amps.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Fortune

Didn't you ask about this ages ago? I'm getting major Deja vou here.

Measure the current that the swing draws first or just buy a really high current adaptor.

Reply to
CWatters

I don't want to be a nusiance but do you have any idea why the baby swing uses batteries and not a AC adapter? what if the adapter goes haywire and you end up with an electric babyswing. Safety 1st!!!! better get rechargeble batteries and a charger. rw

Reply to
Ryan Weihl

Probably to keep the baby from being strangled to death by the wire getting wrapped around its neck.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

how quick. and how much energy do those batteries hold. are you using a good brand of batteries? we got over 20 hours (guess) from a set of energisers in our swing.

yes, if the 6V supply is strong enough. ideally you should hook an ammeter up un series with the batteries and note the peak current draw, add 20% just to be sure, and get an adaptor atleast that powerful.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

that's not going to happen, those things have warninga all over them "use only with supervision".

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

Warning labels? Are you kidding? People still die from shoving TV antenna masts into high voltage power lines, and they are covered with warning labels. The OEM's insurance company will not let them sell something that stupid and dangerous. Any modifications are at your own risk, and if they result in a death, you can spend the rest of your life in prison.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You think everyone is going to heed every warning?

"Smoking is hazardous to your health" "Do not drink and drive" "Fasten seat belt" "Do not defeat safety interlock" "Do not use lawnmower as hedge trimmer" "Push turnstile with hand" (as in not with testicles) "Do not use this trouble light where flammable liquids may be present" "Warning - soldering iron can cause burns" "Do not look into blue or white LEDs" "Babies must be supervised every millisecond they are not safely in cribs or playpens"

I think the manufacturer will hear from a lawyer of a baby gets strangled on a cord that came with the product even if the baby was left unsupervised.

Don Klipstein

Don.. I had a neighbor that used a gas lawn mower to trim the top of a 6 foot hedge. No problems. Tied the mower to a back hoe. Would swing the mower back and forth at did a great job of trimming. W W

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 589 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 589 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Warren Weber