International standards

Receptacle orientation ("does the ground prong go up or down?") is an age old debate. Here's my solution:

--------- | 0 | | | | | | | | * | | | | | | | | 0 | ---------

:-)

Actually, whatever points either side of the debate make are moot when you consider that a receptacle can be installed sideways. Then the debate will be "does the ground prong go left or right?" :-)

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Not possible. The crossover will add $.02 to the design.

Indeed.

Ok, now let's move onto the great switch direction debate. Up/down? Left/right? ;-)

--
  Keith
Reply to

Neutral on top, of course. ;-)

Rocker 'in' at the top or bottom for 'on'?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

In my office building (in Long Island NY) they are installed facing each other - in a bank of four you'll have:

DD UU

in a bank of 2 mounted vertically it will be:

D U

Reply to
larwe

Of course it's possible! The marketeers will have a field day selling the new "feature": "For a limited time and a limited only, now you can be the envy of your friends and neighbors. It will make you popular with all the girls! It will grow hair in your bald spot, whiten your teeth, and cure bad breath in dogs! You cannot afford to be without one. Act quickly! Send cash check or money order for $19.95 (or - a special deal for the first 100 orders - $29.95 for 2) to Keith Williams, President, Crossover Receptacles, Inc. PO Box E=MC^2, Sanddddukie, OH,

197543-89435 U.S.A." :-)

No, No, No. Our new line of switches will be push on, push off. We desparately need to eliminate the "up/down confusion".

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

How about a *wireless* switch interface (clap on...)?

--
  Keith
Reply to

Put them in sideways??? :-)

Reply to
redbelly

Top half of rocker pressed == on. Bottom half of rocker pressed == off.

This dates back to the days of the wall switches with the two, one-inch-long buttons sticking out of the wall, and the top one had a pearl insert, and when it was "IN", the light was on, and the bottom one was "OUT", and when you'd press the bottom one (more like "shove,"), it would latch "IN", eject the top button to the "OUT" position, and turn the light off. These have been replaced, of course, by toggle and rocker switches. Duh.

But I think on the up/down switch, I think that rocker switches would use the same logic as the bat handle on ordinary light switches - when it's up, it's on, when it's down, it's off. I think the justification/rationale is that, when there's an electrical "mishap", you can just take a blind lunge at the switch, and if you manage to swat it on the way to the floor, you might have a chance to de-energize the circuit. ;-)

Of course, if you've got your switches mounted sideways, all bets are off. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

slowly

In America our kids get taught at an early age to keep their thumb out from between the prongs while plugging in a plug. I still remember when I learned it! =:-Z

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I don't remember when. I sure as hell remember how :-)

durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it."
                                             (Stephen Leacock)
Reply to
Fred Abse