Interesting PCB manufacturer feedback to customers

I'm having a couple of prototype PCBs made by PCB-Pool and they have an interesting new technique for keeping customers updated with progress on their board: as each stage is reached one gets an email showing how one can see details of the board production process. Here is the latest missive:

"We have prepared a graphic illustration of the production stages Tin Strip of your PCB for you."

"To view the current status of your order, please log in to the "My Orders" section on our website. Here you can click on the link, "Order Tracking", and choose the desired order."

"In the Information section of the order tracking area you will see a small thumbnail of your circuit board. Clicking on this picture opens a new window containing a detailed shot of your PCB, scanned with a resolution of 300dpi."

The first one showed the photoplots for the top and bottom copper and the top and bottom solder mask. That was useful, as I'd mistakenly specified identical solder mask on both sides; I could see that they had sorted it out for me, saving me having to contact them about it.

It would be nice if other PCB suppliers did this, as well.

Leon

Reply to
Leon

interesting, I wonder if McDonalds could do the same, showing how they prepare the meat for a hamburger

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

It is a pleasure when a PCB house fixes one's goofs. Over 20 years ago, i found one like that in the San Jose CA area; have not seen one since.

Reply to
Robert Baer

[snip]

The mentionned PCB-Pool is seemingly such a board house. I remember a case where I had an uncritical display board, which had to be made in a rush. Hence, I let the autorouter do the work and hurried transferring the layout to PCB-Pool. Later I received an email from one of their CAM operators, that he had found an incompletely routed trace and that he had fixed that for me - attached where the detailed pics of the layout before and after the fix, so that I exactly knew what he'd done.

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Bahner

Just got another email - UV curing is happening. 8-)

Leon

Reply to
Leon

personaly, I would not use that feature. Ignorance is a bliss :-)

regards

Jan Rasmussen - with a tripple Chokolate Muffin and a large Coca Cola on the way home.

Reply to
Jan Rasmussen

On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 07:40:08 GMT, Robert Baer wrote: [snippage]

I expect this from the PCB houses I deal with. The 4 houses I have dealt with in the past few years were very good about catching stupid things or questioning oddities.

--
Mark
Reply to

Querying oddities is one thing, but "fixing" what they perceive as errors or oddities is another thing entirely.

Reply to
budgie

"Fixing" is not in their job description. Identifying "oddities" is another kettle of fish though. I've had a couple of technicians who were really good at finding my "oddities", but they were *not* to fix anything. Ok, one wrote all the drivers I needed to get the stuff to work. ;-)

--
  Keith
Reply to

Budgie

I read a posting from you regarding Executive Book Summaries. I'm thinking of getting the $119 Internet subscription (MP3 format). Would you be interested in going dutch? I could email you the files and then you could mail your half.

Interested?

Here's the link and email:

Here's the info:

12 monthly issues (that's 30 summaries) delivered right to your personal Online Library. All summaries can be accessed in formats for printing, reading on screen, downloading to most PDAs, and listening to in MP3 format.

Mark

budgie wrote:

Reply to
SOX 404 Guru

(snip rest)

WTF are you on?

Reply to
budgie

That's exactly my point. Some earlier posters in this thread had supported "fixing". Find them by all means. Report them, but DON'T TOUCH THEM. If there's a fix to be applied, I'll send a revised job.

Reply to
budgie