interesting economic opinions

rkin

84...

So, you're saying Keynes was right--all these years and years of stimulus worked, stimulating industry & production, expanded employment, and created real, lasting wealth in Greece?

Or was it just a big party, wasted, and now everyone's hung over (and deep in debt)?

Hint: choose 'B'.

Hey you'll love this--look what those horrible "bankers" are doing now:

(His 'O' Majesty has decreed that Freddie and Fannie shall now re-fi, shall not charge for this and that, can exceed 125% loan-to-value, without appraisal, without squat, taxpayers to assume to liability. NINJA-mania.)

(Unconstitutional BTW--only Congress can authorize spending money.)

Darn those bankers.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Hey, *that's* the Keynesian multiplier, as promised. It's even better than Pelobama's foodstamps--

ch-over-food-stamps/ "For every dollar a person receives in food stamps, Pelosi said that $1.79 is put back into the economy. The U.S. Department of Agriculture cites an even higher figure of $1.84."

-- Cheers,

James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Do to a sloppy reporter, she was misquoted. What she actually said was

John

He is better off than others, but not extremely well-off. Most people pay around 20K to 30K in property taxes (directly or indirectly through rents), as well as state taxes, federal taxes and sales taxes. We (in the US) are not undertaxed.

On the other hand, i advocate doubling the property tax adjustment from 2% to 4% and strongly enforce it again the local government. Nobody is seriously enforcing 2% property inflation adjustment anyway

I am currently fighting the LA tax assessor.

Reply to
linnix
[snip]

Huh? Maybe in Californica. I pay ~$4800 in property taxes on a house that was once worth (:-( almost $1 Million.

I pray for a _really_ big earthquake ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Ok, may be 10K to 20K, considering that employers pay property taxes on your behalf as well.

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0| =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

Reply to
linnix

Lots of people would die. He'd enjoy that. I'm not sure how praying fits into that.

John

se

It not going to work anyway. After the quake, SF property prices went up, not down. There were less supplies, more demands, and flood of federal reconstruction money.

Reply to
linnix

I pay $1300 on a house that I bought for $300,000.

We'd just end up paying for that, too.

Reply to
krw

The fewer leftists the better ;-)

I have in mind THE _really_big_ one... where Yuma becomes an ocean-front resort ;-) ...Jim Thompson

se

That would be $4500 property tax (around 1.5%) in California. House prices are around 500K (7.5K) in many place. Usually, same place with the most homeless people. The best way to solve the homeless problem is to bring down property prices further. If we cut the property tax roll, it will take care of the government problems, left or right.

Reply to
linnix

There wasn't a huge lot of damage in the '89 quake in SF. Most neighborhoods looked fine. We had a 100-yo Victorian, and had a brick chimney crack up some, so turned it into a very nice skylight.

Dan Rather stayed at the St Francis Hotel. He'd put on his Gunga Dan safari outfit. A limo would drive him to the Marina district, where there was a collapsed house. He'd shoot his newscast with the house as background, and get chauffered back to the hotel.

We now measure earthquakes on the Rather scale, which rates severity on how Dan would dress.

John

On a sunny day (Tue, 25 Oct 2011 11:45:36 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

:-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

se

Depends who he is praying to.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

But that $500K house is likely $50K, here. ...without the homeless.

The best way of getting rid of most any problem (this one included) is to stop rewarding the behavior.

Reply to
krw

ople

house

stop

Exactly. High property prices (taxes) reward local governments for more hand-outs and to provide more services for higher taxes.

Reply to
hyl

Even the bible goes on and on about the "money changers." Supposedly, jesus was violent with them. And usury has similar tales told. Bankers are ungodly, by definition. ;)

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

No, they just worship a different god, mammon. Megacorporations in all business are the same, by law.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Bankers are middlemen, and everyone's annoyed by middlemen. Everyone always wonders if they're doing anything useful, and if we couldn't just live without them. But, if you need money to do something, they make it possible. That can't be inherently bad.

The problem is when they get too cozy with the government overseeing them, who then grants them anti-competitive advantages. Like this:

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

The problem is also that they use the money entrusted to them to reap interests. This is fundamentally unproductive, but very lucrative. In that sense, they are the parasites of the world's economy. The trouble is that there are far too many of them.

I believe the key to a healthy economy is to optimize the economic yield of productive activities, to the detriment of the yield of big finance. Clearly, that's government's turf. The trouble is that I see governments do just the opposite...

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman