"intelligent" telephone answering machine

That is a start..especially if it can be programmed to block on basis of caller id as i mentioned. A blacklist is almost useless as majority of fake calls are new.

Reply to
Robert Baer

  • For what i see, it is extremely useful via a machine i specified.
  • Nope.

Reply to
Robert Baer

  • BULLSHIT! As i said many times before, most of the calls i get have the state code as a part of the caller ID. BELLEVUE WA, OGDEN UT, MOUNTAIN VIEW CA, SILVERDALE CA,CASTLE ROCK WA, ROY WA, MARYSVILLE WA, CAMAS WA, NEW YORK NY, PORT ANGELES WA, ELMA WA, HAYWARD CA ... need i go on with examples that GIVE USEFUL INFO?

Reply to
Robert Baer

It tells you that they have the kit and technical ability to spoof CLID.

And you still don't seem to understand how easily they are forged?

UK CLID is pure numeric data. They typically fake a local number in the hope that you will pick up.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Likewise here in the U.S.A.

I know a few people that purposefully have cell phone number from somewhere they never go to. So they can simply screen any and all calls from the same area code as their cell phone number.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

e:

if

cy 3-4KC

and 14Hz

luded)

y one

to force a dialing robot to listen to robot music. Actually, most of the r obocalls I get are from out of state only because my phone number is from o ut of state. They even pick an exchange local to where my phone number was originally from. So how would this detect a spammer?

most

nt???

When you press the right button they connect you to someone from India. Th ey use random phone numbers local to you and pay for nothing other than bei ng connected to a phone line somewhere in the world, very possibly over the Internet before it reaches a phone network.

All of those calls actually originated in India... or China, or elsewhere. There is nothing in caller ID that verifies the location. It simply repor ts what was transmitted by the caller.

So get a grip and learn how caller ID works.

Here, these guys will help you fake your calls.

  Rick C.

  --++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  --++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Ricketty C

I have a Digitone Proseries II Call Blocker. When a call comes in that you want to block for future calls the press of a button will do that. The unit has features too numerous to mention here. Google it to check it out. I am very satisfied with the unit's performance. I think it meets all of R. Bae r's requirements

Reply to
Charles Elias

Your cell phone numbers have a geographic location? I didn't know that.

Ours tells you only the original network that the phone was on when the mobile contract first started. You can port your old number with you to a new mobile network afterwards so it is no longer meaningful.

The SIM original phone number has an "exchange" code determined by network carrier. A bit like the leading digits on credit cards.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

I have a Digitone Proseries II call blocker which satisfies all of R. Baer's requirements and more. You can Google it to see its features. I am very satisfied with its performance;

Reply to
Charles Elias

I have a Digitone ProSeries II Call Blocker. It has the capabilities that R. Baer wants and more. Google it and check it out.

Reply to
Charles Elias

I have a Digitone Series II Call Blocker. It meets R. Baer's requirements and more. Google it for more details

Reply to
Charles Elias

I have a Digitone Proseries II Call Blocker that meets all of R. Baer's requirements and more

Reply to
Charles Elias

Unknown callers (not in my address book) show up as 10 digit phone numbers; the three digit area code, the three digit exchange, and the four digit number.

So anything from the area code where the number originated from and is wildly away from where it's in use, is a very good indication that it's an unwanted call, if not outright spam.

Ya. Number Portability makes things more entertaining.

Yep.

But that's where it originated, not a guarantee of where's it's currently in service.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

No, that's the fallacy. The "origin" of a number means nothing when the ca ller is spoofing the call. It's no different from spam emails that appear to be from a friend but are instead spam. The "from" address is easily spo ofed.

But you can't spoof the billing process. Charge each call start a dime and spammers can't afford to call unanswered phones or phones with answering m achines or even people who hang up. But for the typical user the dime a ca ll is pretty much nothing. When I had a land line I was on a budget plan t hat was less than $15 a month and $0.115 a call. I didn't mind that at all .

There's no way around the expense for the spammer because it can be conveye d to their provider (actually it IS conveyed to them and they then have to collect it from the customer). If providers start being part of the proble m rather than part of the solution they are pretty easy to handle. They ha ve to have much more of a presence to provide connectivity. Bottom line is , whoever provided the service to the last guy in the chain that is duplici tous gets the bill to pay. Service for spammers will dry up very quickly.

--

  Rick C.

  -+-- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -+-- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Ricketty C

You're missing my point.

Yes, I know that it's trivial to spoof the caller ID. I've done it.

But given that the vast majority of the people that I want to not talk to are the only people that will spoof the caller ID /and/ they spoof to match the area code that the phone number is in, you can use this habit against them and simply ignore all calls with a caller ID from the area code.

If I live and work in Georgia and everybody that I deal with is in Georgia or is in my contacts, then I can safely ignore any and all calls from an area code out of Alaska, which is where I got my phone number from. I can do this explicitly as a trap for the spam calls. I have zero to do with Alaska. Thus I know that any call from an Alaska area code is extremely likely to be spam and thus ignore it.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Yes, I did miss that I was replying to the guy with a non-local area code. That is different. But it still doesn't prevent the spam calls from reach ing you. It just means you don't have to pick up the phone to know for sur e. I don't have much trouble with identifying spam calls. 99.9% of the ti me I can tell a spam call because it is from someone who isn't in my contac t list and so I see a number instead of a name. I don't want to hear the p hone ring much less have to find it to see the number.

I shouldn't say I don't want to hear the phone ring. I don't want to hear it unless I'm in the mood to mess with the spammers. I got a call from ab out car insurance the other day. They started me at the low salary remote worker without a robo call first. She gave me the whole spiel and tried to transfer me to an actual agent (who I love to talk to nice and slowly). B ut she got the state wrong and I got disconnected. :(

But that is the other way to get rid of the spam calls, answer them all and get on a black list... lol! Think Glen Gary Glenn Ross.

--

  Rick C.

  -+-+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -+-+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Ricketty C

Indeed and in the case of the most prolific cold callers almost always is and is in reality a VOIP call from India or somewhere else with incredibly cheap call centres. They skimp on bitrate too - some are all but unintelligible if they happen to get through my filters.

You are assuming that they are making the call inside the USA. A few local scammers might be but the vast majority are not.

But there is because it comes into the country as an international call from somewhere else in the world but with a spoofed CLID. I am sure that major telcos could block known spamhaus callers if they wanted to but I expect they somehow make money from the traffic that they put through.

Increasingly in the UK cold caller boiler room scammers are spoofing as if from a UK mobile number which makes people more likely to pick up. UK Test & Trace are using an 0300 number which almost no-one will pick up!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

I am loving the newer feature that my phone has that caller IDs not in my address book don't ring the phone, don't vibrate. All they do is light the screen while ringing. It's trivial to ignore. If the phone is face down, I don't even see that.

Ya. Taking their time is probably the most precious thing of theirs that you can take / consume.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

I am assuming nothing. Every phone call from anywhere to anywhere is subje ct to billing. Every point in the phone system supports it. All that woul d be required is to enact the fee and spammers will have to pay. If they d on't pay their providers are stuck with the bill. If they don't pay, their providers... and so on. At some point it will become impossible for the s pammers and scammers to avoid paying far too much to make it possible to be profitable.

Same with email, but there is no regulatory/billing built into email. In t he phone system it's already there and only needs to be enacted. Brother c an you spare a dime?

It's not about the "spamhaus" or the CLID. It's about billing. Do you thi nk the US telcos get nothing for routing an international call? Of course they do. Even if they aren't presently, they can easily add the dime fee.

Have no idea what test and trace is other than covid. Is that what you mea n?

--

  Rick C.

  -++- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -++- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Ricketty C

Yes.

They are using an exchange code prefix that everyone associates with nuisance calls for Test & Trace! Smart or what?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown