infrared beacon for pet door

On a sunny day (Thu, 11 Dec 2008 10:42:30 -0800) it happened Usual Suspect wrote in :

Just paint the cat with a bar-code pattern. There are also face recognition webcams I think. Sure it should be able to tell one cat from an other? Here is a software challenge. Maybe John Larkin can do it in asm.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Where's the video clip of the guys with the imaging processing system? It was deployed to let the cat in, but NOT if she had a "present" in her mouth....

-- A host is a host from coast to snipped-for-privacy@nrk.com & no one will talk to a host that's close........[v].(301) 56-LINUX Unless the host (that isn't close).........................pob 1433 is busy, hung or dead....................................20915-1433

Reply to
David Lesher

You're supposed to sterilize your pets.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Here:

Steve

Reply to
Stephen D. Barnes

On a sunny day (Fri, 12 Dec 2008 14:45:52 -0500) it happened "Stephen D. Barnes" wrote in :

Absolutely wonderful. Pity it is not open source, would like to see the algos.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Fri, 12 Dec 2008 14:45:52 -0500) it happened "Stephen D. Barnes" wrote in :

Ok, I just did some coding, and Iwas thinking like this: They claim the 'curve' is unique (say outline) for the 'correct' cat.

I did a full FFT open the pictures from my security cam, hey a 640x480 picture in color, really, it is a lot of data. The idea being that the spectrum should be unique, but shift to higher frequencies for a further away object. However the ratio between the FFT components should not change much when the object is closer or further away? I am not sure if that would hold during rotation and sizing due to distance. It is a lot of data per picture.... result is 230408 abs frequency values.... The soft is fast enough it seems. Anybody any ideas?

Would almost think you could use a vactor descrition, like in characters in a pdf document, to store outlines. image to vector graphics? Have to think about this some more, any suggestions welcome.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

haha, was I right. just a quick google found this open source program to convert bitmaps to vector graphics:

I took the 'cat Template.jpg' from the 'flo' site, and did feed it through convert Template.jpg Template.bmp

and then converted it to bitmap: potrace -k .25 Template.bmp

The result: ftp://panteltje.com/pub/Template.eps The size is now only 1275 bytes. Here we can do something.

You can download and look at that file with an encapsulated ps capable viewer, like ghostview: gv Template.eps

potrace can make pdf too. potrace -p -k .35 ./Template.bmp

And to make a pdf from it: ps2pdf Template.ps See it here: ftp://panteltje.com/pub/Template.pdf

So for those without a ps and pdf viewer, lets make a gif: convert Template.eps Template.gif

See the nice vector cat here: ftp://panteltje.com/pub/Template.gif So, now how to compare pdf to pictures...... At least I have the curves / vector grahics now :-)

PS. Sorry Windows users, 'time for change'. LOL

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Or just drive a pulse into a small coil & pick it up with another door-mounted coil. Those make for simple Tx and Rx, omnidirectional, etc.

If you're stuck on IR...

Cut the range: you don't need 6 feet, more like 6 inches. cut the LED pulse to 1mA, trim the pulsewidth.

That should get you pretty close.

And for a receiver you might ignore the IR and just pick up the RFI...

(I test IR remote controls by holding them close to an AM-band radio--you can hear the pulses.)

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

For forcibly handling unhappy cats i prefer the gauntlets that concertina wire installers use. Otherwise OK.

Reply to
JosephKK