Garage Door Sensors

Does anyone know how to bypass the sensors for garage door openers that prevent the door from closing. Im refering to the beams that are on either side of the garage close to the floor. When something steps inside the beams the door wont shut. If anybody knows how to do away with the sensors all together and have the door still work please let me know.

Reply to
Steve

Why so you want to do this? They sensor it to keep the garage door from coming down on small children and pets, and *killing* them. As a last resort, most manufacturers have gone to making the large gear inside the door unit out of plastic, in the hopes that if the sensor did fail, the gear would strip and prevent your child from being cut in half. If your local city planning department ever found out you deactivated your door sensor, and someone ever were hurt, you would go to jail for a long time. Murder / attempted murder is a tough rap...

beams

Reply to
Greysky

Never saw a beam at floor level, What kind of door have you got? Most use the pressure on the door bottom as a safety to prevent injury or trapping someone. It is build into the opener, and AFAIK can not be disabled!

Reply to
Roger Gt

The guy who installed our garage door couldnt get the sensors to line up without the door frame itself getting in the way, so he just mounted them no the ceiling jousts about 18" apart, aimed straight at each other.

As for safety, if i had a little kid I would rework it, but the door does bounce back when someth> Why so you want to do this? They sensor it to keep the garage door from

--
mehaase(at)sas(dot)upenn(dot)edu