Electric door knob

Just want to know why some one has not invented an electric door knob?

Reply to
aj

Define "electric door knob." If you mean a door that opens itself electrically, they're all over the place - as are security locks which incorporate an electric release, and use a keypad thumbprint scan, etc., for access.

Bob M.

Reply to
Bob Myers

If you look at his other question, which is basically the same question but gives insight into his intent, it sure seems like his idea of an "electric doorknob" is one that shocks people when they touch it.

It's obvious why they've not been invented. IN order for current to flow, you need two terminals. If the knob itself supplied both, the current would be limited to a small area of the body. If the knob is used as only one terminal, then some other terminal has to be supplied, and you can' always count on having a convenient metal surface where someone would be standing to supply that other terminal. Also variables come into play, such as whether or not the person is wearing shoes, or what type of shoes. An effective "electric doorknob" requires that it be reliable, and it can't be that if someone shows up with rubber soled shoes.

There's also the "minor" issues of what purpose this would serve. Perhaps a deterrent, yet unless it supplies a lethal shock the person would just use some other means of getting inside or getting the attention of someone inside. I suppose some might see it as a gag, though there might not be enough interest in that use to really warrant the heavy design work.

Also the "minor" issue of liability. Too little current/voltage wouldn't deter someone, which might bring lawsuits to the manufacturer when people find the product doesn't work as claimed. Too much current/voltage and it would be lethal, again bringing lawsuits, at least to the homeowner and maybe manufactuer from the deceased relatives.

Of course, the "electric doorknob" has been invented, as anyone who's seen one of the "Home Alone" films will know. Though technically I'm not sure little Kevin actually created a working "electric doorknob" even though the film showed it as working.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Yeah, I was afraid that might be the case after I saw that second post, but then I thought, "no, no one would ask a question that was THAT stupid, would they?"

And then I remembered that this IS the internet we're talking about here....

Bob M.

Reply to
Bob Myers

Because the present doorknob is hard to beat? Cheap, works great, doesn't require energy - and my cat hasn't learned how to work it.

default

He's posting through Google Groups; that should be a clue.

A lot of the people using GG think they are using myspace or AOL bulletin boards - Google keeps the fantasy going by providing a place for "profiles." No concept of what Usenet is - many of them . . .

default

They won't figure it out. Its the dogs that are working on the doorknob problem. (The Far Side)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

We can also "rate" the post over there.

At least, there is a link to do so. I've never clicked it so I don't know whether it really ends up rating usenet posts over at google, or if it just applies to their local "groups".

Clearly we should be "rating" such posts, and maybe they'd learn from it.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Too late, by decades. I know of several people who had dogs who figured out doorknobs, and got out regularly. They had to put separate deadbolts high up on the door to defeat the dog.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

See also the thread "Someone keeps getting into my house through the electric grarage door, how can this happen?" by same OP.

Reply to
CWatters

Those are the dog scientists. Now they are working to refine the process so that any dog can do it.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I think she's got the mechanics figured out, just isn't equipped for turning it and hasn't found a tool to do it.

Smart cat. She'd chase string as a kitten. I'd get tired of the game before she did and toss the string away. She'd fetch it then drop it in my lap and proceed to attack it. I'd toss it away and that became the new game. I figured to spoof her and pretended to toss the string. She looked confused for a second then picked up an imaginary string dropped it in my lap and attacked it. So I did it again to see if she understood - she attacked a second imaginary string.

default

I don't know if it is worth the effort - through google. Then I'd be playing their game - adding legitimacy to Google Groups.

From the lack of replies by the original posters, one wonders if they even know which groups they are posting to.

They'd probably require an "account" and they are in the advertising and data mining business. Google is in a good position to acquire too much personal information already IMHO.

default

humans dont have ALL the intelligence yet.

i hope they never do.

News==----

Newsgroups

=----

Reply to
<hapticz

I know.

Look how we attempt to dominate the planet without regard to the ecology we depend on - seems like it takes intelligence to do something incredibly stupid. Or to place oneself in a position to be incredibly stupid.

Newsgroups
default

yep, it takes a lot of intelligence to even acknowledge that we are stupid! ;-))

News==----

Newsgroups

=----

Reply to