Fast door heater for a frozen auto door

hello-

I have a 99 Ranger pickup which would otherwise be completely irrelevant to this ng, but something I battle each winter in Wisconsin is that the driver's side door tends to freeze shut. I can usually get the passenger side door open and crawl across but it's a bit of a hassle, esp. since it is a manual transmission.

I've gone all over the door looking for water leaks but can't find any. It's freezing in a couple of small spots where the rubber stoppers contact the door, and it must be condensation or the act of opening the door that gets it just a little wet when I open it. Not a lot of ice, but just enough to make me worry about someday pulling the doorhandle off trying to open it.

So i came up with some lame-brained idea of running a small length of wiring in the door sill with some small, localized "heat sources" in the areas where it freezes. A hall-effects sensor (or even magnetic reed switch) in the rear window can be used to turn the heat on if I put a magnet (small rare-earth type, fastened to my keychain) up to it on the outside. I can power the whole thing with the 12V accessory jack in the dash. In theory it sounds like it'd work....

However, what should I use for the heat sources? A small bit of nichrome wire? If Nichrome, where do I get it (old cigarette lighters or toasters from the junk yard?) and what should I wrap it with? Should I use tiny light bulbs (there's room for the 12V grain-of-wheat and pea-sized HO Railroad bulbs)?

Any other suggestions/improvements would be great, even if you don't think it will work or think this is a bad idea.

Thanks for any and all!

Reply to
phaeton

Put a little silicone grease on the rubber stoppers where they hit
the door.
Reply to
John Fields

The heating element from an electric blanket would probably be about the right size.

However, I suggest you first coat the gasket and stop surfaces with a little bit of silicone grease and see if that solves the problem.

Reply to
John Popelish

I dunno... will it run on 12V?

Reply to
phaeton

[snip...snip...]

Why not the heat tape designed to keep water pipes from freezing?

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to

I would suggest smearing a liberal coat of silicone grease on all the contact points and where water is likely to bridge and freeze across a gap.

JazzMan

--

********************************************************** Please reply to jsavage"at"airmail.net. Curse those darned bulk e-mailers! ********************************************************** "Rats and roaches live by competition under the laws of supply and demand. It is the privilege of human beings to live under the laws of justice and mercy." - Wendell Berry **********************************************************
Reply to