Inductive Coupling Coefficient

Customer has 1' PCB panels... Single inputs on N and W sides, outputs on E and S sides. ...Jim Thompson

Sheet of mu metal placed at 45 degrees? Stuff is rather good even at 60Hz and would get better as frequency goes up. Tie sheet to system ground plane, natch.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I've seen FM radios with a small single wall shield next to inductors to break up the field. As long as the inductors are mounted 90deg from one another coupling is at a minimum. I vaguely recall coils are needed, so toroids are out of the question.

Martin Riddle

...Jim Thompson

Check; from the description of input , output coils,it would seem that parallel orientation would be the case..

out / * *

Reply to
Robert Baer

Oh I see now. Spooled inductors are wonderful emitters. Yep a lower Q and I'd imagine separate TX and rx frequencies. I believe there is specific EMI limits for intentional emitters if he eventually goes for some type of certification. It could be either be bad or good ;)

Martin Riddle

below 10kHz don't care. OSHA cares about exposure,but that's more safety and is HUGE.

In the US, below 150kHz FCC doesn't really care. BUT, in Europe they care. comes from the Netherlands [I believe] and their [or someone's] submarine communications channels.

Above 150kHz is not necessary, but we once had an Engineer unnessarily select 8MHz [From memory] to transmit 1W, and that was a huge bother. marginal, at the NRTL, not to mention trying to meet the SAR limits, which it exceeded/failed.

Reply to
RobertMacy

BELOW, not above!!!

Reply to
RobertMacy

ARRRGGG!!! English is my first language, it doesn't show very often! When I read my reply, *I* even misread it and posted a previous, stupid reply.

means it is NOT necessary to go above 150kHz AND you get into that 'regulatory' quagmire ubove 150kHz.

Reply to
RobertMacy