Inductive coupling help reqd..

I have a product that I want to upgrade to inductive coupling for battery charging. The base could fit inside the source coil, but the coil would need to have an internal diameter of about 3" This could completely enclose the receiver coil in the base of the unit. E.G two concentric coils.. Charge current needs to be in the order of 100mA @ 10V. Is this feasible using a 230V mans coil ? Efficiency is not an issue. Most of my searching reveals high frequency type systems. Is this mandatory?

Reply to
TT_Man

There are one or two electric toothbrushes that use this trick to charge the battery in the brush from 240V 50Hz.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Efficiency IS an issue. There are more ramifications that a few cents per year extra in power consumption. Melting plastics for one thing (albeit for higher power devices).

Makes for smaller coils for one thing. Depends on how "portable" you want to make the device.

Again, don't disregard little things like this. I replaced my cordless drill battery with an SLA type I had on hand, because it was quick and easy and I couldn't be bothered going out to buy the proper one the next day.

Nearly 6 pounds in the battery alone. Great capacity, but ruins the balance and more importantly, the aesthetics of the tool.

--
Linux Registered User # 302622
Reply to

Pretty much, since 50/60Hz doesn't couple too well. Mainly because you'd need oodles of turns to get up to the required inductance and also because it's a fixed frequency.

The trick is to make the setup series resonant. Typical frequencies at this power level are in the 50-100kHz range.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

O.K. Does anyone have any pointers for a reference design? My google searches have come up with very little...

Reply to
TT_Man

Haven't seen any on the web and I can't disclose any stuff I did for clients. Just look for series resonant converters. The trick is to mitigate the inevitable huge leakage inductance that results from the coils' poor coupling but you can only do that for one side. That would usually be the input side.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Enjoy, Harry

Reply to
Harry Dellamano

Oops, try this,

Harry

Reply to
Harry Dellamano

I will leave unsaid but hinted at my utterly derogatory assertions about worrying over the aesthetics of a tool over the function.

Reply to
JosephKK

Aesthetics are important too. Alas most "designers" care only about aesthetics.

I sold my last property to a chippie (builder). He only uses 12V tools. Initially I scoffed, until I spent an entire day working with my 18V drill held above my head.

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given