Transformer Coupling Coefficient vs Leakage

I have a spice simulation that uses this transformer:

Turns Ration Np/Ns = 1: 278

Primary inductance = 40uH

Secondary Inductance = 3.09H

Coupling Coefficient K = 0.8 (it's a cylindrical rod core transformer)

I would like to change K to 1.0 and add external leakages so that the simulation results are the same.

This is what I tried:

Set K=1.0 Add a primary leakage of (1-K^2) * 40uH = 14.4uH Add a secondary leakage of (1-K^2) * 3.09mH = 1.11H

The results were close but not the same. So what leakage values should I use?

Jason.

Reply to
Kooner

hint: so now your total primary inductance is 54.4 uH and you total sec is

4.1uH. Is that right?

Mark

Reply to
Mark

OK...

With the equivalent circuit model I think you're using here, I believe that you want:

1) A series inductor for primary leakage of 14.4uH as you state, but *no* secondary series inductor. (Although if you feel like it you can of transform some or all of the leakage inductance to the secondary.) 2) Change your turns ratio to 1:1/(k*sqrt(Lp/Ls))=1:347 3) Change the primary's inductance to k^2*40uH=32uH.

How's that work?

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner