indestructible automotive electronics

In the gearhead world WOT means wide open throttle.

Why does so many feel the need to encrypt their posts? What does WOT mean? World of Tanks and Web of Trust are the two that show up on a google search. WTF

--

Rick
Reply to

wide open throttle

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Stop right there. Absolute dealbreaker! Whoever comes up with a sensible power source for these cars will be very, very, very rich.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

why is 40mile of pure electric a deal breaker? it has a gasoline engine too

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Sometimes the ABS has its own computer, with its own fuse you can pull. Obviously, test this in a nice flat open parking lot before driving on the public roads.

Disabling the ABS may make other things (like traction control, possibly cruise control, maybe radar brakes) not work, and it may set some trouble codes that you'll have to clear later with a scan tool.

If you aren't sure which fuse it is, and you don't want to spring for the factory Toyota service manuals (which are pretty good, but sometimes assume you have the special tools), often the local public library subscribes to either the Mitchell or Chilton service manuals that some repair shops subscribe to. With my local library, I can access some of them from home, but some of them I have to go to the library for. You can usually get at least a good wiring diagram (many pages' worth) out of them, and look at the power distribution and fuse boxes.

I suspect that's the traction control kicking in. On my '01 Toyota, I think all it does is slightly apply the brake to the wheel it thinks is slipping. It might cut the engine power a little as a second choice if the braking isn't helping.

I have driven a '96 Suzuki that had a blue "ABS Active" light on the instrument panel, that would come on when the ABS kicked in. I haven't seen it on any car since.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

You can also arrange for it to fail POST, by turning the car off and then on while rolling. Most ABSes of my acquaintance assume that there's some problem with the wheel sensors and take themselves offline.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

OK thanks Matt, I'll look into it. There is some traction control button on the dash....I turned that off.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

huh, OK. I guess I should cycle the car off and on before I'm careening down the snowy hill. :^)

George h.

Reply to
George Herold

I remember "turning the car off" as a youth while going along. Steering wheel locks - eek!

--

John Devereux
Reply to

just don't turn the key all the way

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

In my Acura, you can't turn the key to the lock position until the transmission is in Park.

Reply to
tom

It has a backup gas generator with a 9 gallon tank, so you get another

200+ on top of that at around 38 mpg highway on a good day...

The 2017 Bolt crossover will be all electric and have a 200 mile range its battery from an overnight charge.

Reply to
bitrex

Yeah, I dunno, on most days I don't even run the engine. Only for longer trips. And there's an operating mode that lets you charge the battery off the engine on the highway when it's running at a constant RPM and is most efficient, and then you can use that charge during stop-and-go in the city.

All the post 2013(?) Volts let you switch between EV mode and gas-only mode at any time from the center console.

Reply to
bitrex

My Eagle Vision locked the wheel as soon as the engine was turned off. I had a problem once where the engine would just quit but would restart if the ignition was cycled off-on. Of course it wasn't nice to do this when the steering locked. It took some time (several weeks) to find the problem, too, and it had to get so bad that it wouldn't always restart.

Reply to
krw