incredible advance!

You could use the energy captured from your cell phone to charge your cell phone!

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom timing and laser controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer Multichannel arbitrary waveform generators

But your new cell phone would be huge. I believe they are using magnetic r esonance tuned to the cell frequencies. The phone carriers are probably wo rking on anti-resonance frequency hopping or something. But until then, th ey might have to charge everybody for living in their air-space, with or wi thout a phone.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

Do you have any idea of the efficiency of the phone PA?

If there's that much wireless energy floating around, it's no wonder global warming is accelerating, we're microwaving the place to death.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

I especially liked the idea of capturing energy from satellites. Imagine all the things you could do with a few femtowatts.

Seven volts of electricity is more than five volts of electricity!

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

The undergrad there also invented an artificial snow blowing machine. The snow is artificial not the machine.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

The main target is for power from cell towers, but they don't want to upset the phone companies. They will have bigger power bills.

But for how many mA? Several feet long antenna?

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

On Sat, 9 Nov 2013 11:41:20 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Gave us:

There are sidewalks in Sweden or somewhere with pressure plates in them full of piezo transducers which charge batteries which fire the sidewalk 'street lighting'. LED, I think. Supplemented by solar panels as well, IIRC.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

He forgot the smiley.

Reply to
John S

I used this technology back in the mid sixties to provide power for a radio receiver.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

No, you didn't. Some of us, including you and me (at first), missed his joke of recharging by itself.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

Gullible's travails!

durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it."
                                             (Stephen Leacock)
Reply to
Fred Abse

I meant the energy capture technology, which I did use. John's idea is good but dangerous. What if the safety systems went wrong and the 'phone just kept charging? Kabooom, that's what.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

cell

s joke of recharging by itself.

No difference from wired charging. You can protect it with good charging c hip and algorithm. Charging from itself is a joke, but charging from cell towers or even nearby phones are possible. But they might outlaw it with D igital Signal CopyRight Act (DSCA), you can't steal other's people signals or wireless power.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

A transmitter can supply many receivers. Lets say it's a TV transmitter of 10kW and it's being picked up by 10,000 receivers each using -10W (minus of course because the power is coming in). That's a surplus of

90kW.

There are two reasons this is kept secret. Safety as alluded to above is one, Exxon Mobil is the other.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

For a second there, I wondered if there was a natural snow-blowing machine.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

There is a crystal set radio design that used un-tuned stations to power a transistor amp for the tuned station. It does need a big longwire antenna, and you need to be near several AM transmitters.

Some sort of parametric amp should be possible to do that, too.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

I don think Exxon cares about who is paying for power: consumers or transmission companies. But AT&T & Verizon would, if people starts drawing powers from cell signals.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

How long before we change the impedance of (not so) free space? Mikek

Reply to
amdx

"John Larkin" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Are Mother-In-Laws natural?

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation

Imagine we put a tax on radio transmissions by putting a large resistor in parallel with free space -- it would hardly change the speed of light, so that people in their daily business wouldn't notice the change (physicists would unfortunately be inconvenienced, but they aren't a voting majority), and it would only need to drop Zo by a fraction of an ohm to generate more than enough revenue to cover the defecit! Instead of that pesky inexact

377.something ohms, we could also round it to exactly 377, or even 375, a nice round number!...

Tim