How to make use of an old cell phone

I have a relatively old (though not outdated) model of Nokia cell phone and I was wondering if there would be any use that I could make of it.

thank you.

Reply to
asaad78

In the States, you can can give it to a phoneless friend for use as a 911 phone (no activation required). Or you can use it to practice your SMD desoldering/soldering technique. Or you can donate it to a charitable organization.

--
John Miller
Email address: domain, n4vu.com; username, jsm

Steinbach's Guideline for Systems Programming:
        Never test for an error condition you don't know how to handle.
Reply to
John Miller

If it has some kind of external connector on it, you could connect the ringer signal output to a relay, and use the dry contacts to trigger a terrorist bomb. Dial the phone number of the cell phone, and ker-plouie it goes. Just hope that you don't get any telemarketing calls while you are planting this thing.

-john-

John A. Weeks III            952-432-2708         john@johnweeks.com
Newave Communications                       http://www.johnweeks.com
John A. Weeks III

My condolences on the loss of your front door, computers, privacy, and all of your electronics equipment.

Reply to
Garrett Mace

mite make a good paper weight or wheel chock. :)

asaad78 wrote:

Reply to
Jamie

Yup.

JeffM

all of you responded quite strangely for some reason (...?)

so none of you can think of any techical modification that can be done to make a cool gadget out of it.

if you can, please post.

Reply to
asaad78

That's not _my_ idea of strange.

Most of the hardware is rather task-specific; in other words, it's kinda difficult to get it to do anything other than what it was designed to do without breaking into the chips themselves.

I've got three "dead" units I use as chargers for spare batteries...

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Mark Fergerson

Yup. To get it that tiny, it has to be. Obviously, the OP isn't aware of the 1st generation of mobiles (which had to be fitted to a vehicle) and doesn't remember the generation of units that looked like handy-talkies.

Again, yup. It's troubling how so many folks think we have achieved micro-miniaturization using the same old discrete parts we used to build stuff decades ago and how they fail to grasp that production items use ASICs

and one-time-programmable chips.

JeffM