increasing employment by firing people

Thanks.

It works for the welfare state as well. Even in a kook liberal state like Minnesota, welfare reform under Reagan averted the the TOTAL welfare state, at that time. Even the less extreme liberals there let out a breath of relief.

I was at a party once where there was a pregnant woman who was a charity case but proudly claimed that society owed her because making her baby was a duty to society.

Even my LIBERAL SO at that time was disgusted at this almost Marxist BS.

Minnesota had been heading for a situation where the welfare recipients ran the voting booths.

Reagan pulled MN back from the brink, then.

In the early 1980's a new Office Etc store opened a block from my home and THOUSANDS of people applied for work, lining up around the block.

The forms made it clear their priority was to hire people off the welfare rolls to get welfare to work subsidies or credits.

I left, disgusted, when I found that out.

In the early 1980's I also attended a Jobs Training program and discovered that a LOT of jobs I might have gotten otherwise were being set aside for welfare to work people.

I complained that if they hadn't set aside those jobs, half the people in the program wouldn't have needed it.

As I was trained to do, each time I was between jobs I ran to apply for unemployment in a HUGE line in a HUGE employment services building in downtown Minneapolis. (I bet the building is gone.)

They had big budget/staff cuts there and because of my occasional perfunctory visits I noticed that the people they cut were NOT the lazy ones in the back but the front line personnel who actually served the public!

Even to this day I HATE going to any state Job Service office. The last time I was at our local one here I stood on tippy toes to count the bureaucrats and cubicles trying to roughly estimate the payroll cost alone for the staff at our local Jobs office.

That Jobs Training class back in the early 80's had taught me that the efficacy of newspaper ads and Job Service offices are a huge farce.

Of people who got a job, less than 5% got it through Job Service.

Of people who got a job, something like 3% got it through a newspaper job ad. Many job ads are for jobs where they already have some buddy or relative in mind for the job anyway. (See the H1B visa scam going on now.) Many ads are only to satisfy government BS.

Of people who got a job, something like

60% got it because they had a buddy or relative already working there.

I usually got hired based on merit. Even the one job I can think of where a buddy connection helped, merit and skills were still a much higher priority.

Heck I was an entrepeneur in elementary school. Small business is very much in my blood. Both sets of grandparents and both parents ran small businesses.

I hate bureacracy so much that even large corporate employers make me sick.

Even the Communist holdouts like Raul Castro have figured out that MILLIONS of bureaucrats is a drag on the economy.

Reply to
Greegor

Yes, that's the story we're talking about. Here's a version I've been quoting:

(AP) Raul Castro says state will reduce economic role

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

e:

41cfa...

iso".

I understood you, I was just jumping ahead and pointing to the same information from other sources. That takes Breitbart out of the equation.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

No, it's easy. Kos, Conason, Klein, Huffington.

John

cfa...

Ahh, the Shirley Sherrod video. Thanks for clarifying.

AFAICT someone sent Breitbart a video, scratchy audio, and he ran with it. Then a clean copy of the full thing came out, and he posted bits of that too.

Was he wrong on the sentiment? I listened to 30 minutes of the NAACP's offering (the full speech). Class envy. Sad. Her husband's the star of his own less-than-flattering video sensation. Google "Finally, we have to stop the white man and his Uncle Toms from stealing our elections."

And then we have this--the Sherrods, running their own land cooperative, were abusive employers:

(punchline at the end)

-- Best, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

The welfare state is exactly what Bastiat was writing about--that's what he meant.

You might enjoy "The Law," by Bastiat. Here's a selection to get you started:

And we can pull America back. It's a living, breathing, vibrant thing when we take our boot off its neck. It will heal, if we let it.

Sure, it can't be otherwise. And it doesn't work. Central control, in a society, can't process the volume of feedback in real time, or preserve the signal integrity. So, perforce, it operates open-loop. Open-loop, in a society, means inflexible (=3Dinefficient), and it means force. Authoritarian. It means compelling people to do things as a matter of law.

Hence Obamacare. Hence Bastiat's "The Law."

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Dude, do you have to get all poetic & stuff?

But the fundamental truth is: Free Will is good, what's in opposition to Free Will is evil.

Ah, what the heck:

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich the Philosophizer

But, which God is the right one:

hamilton

Well golly, Cuba gets it and DC dont. Sad news, eh?

Reply to
JosephKK

Can't help it--it's my nature.

The Founders called it "liberty." Freedom to experiment, to express ourselves, to try things, and own what we create. It's what drove our economic miracle, and the threats to it are wellsprings to our doldrums, too.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Nonsense, it is quite easy, Pelosi, Reid, Frank and company and McConnell, Boehner and company as well.

Reply to
JosephKK

The Mother of Everything, of course:

She's congruent with Free Will, you see. :-)

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich the Philosophizer