IEEE vs Open Source

Hello John,

If something is wrong in a paper there sure will be responses from readers. I had done that once and the author corrected it pretty much right away.

ROFL!

Papers in highly scientific journals are often boring. They don't have the same spunk, lack of political content maybe ...

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

It's a shame though because I feel EE should have a professional society. That's why I belong. But for $200/year it should be make itself at least as valuable a resource as $100 text book.

Paul C

Reply to
PaulCsouls

Usually there's a fee to submit/publish an article in a journal, at least in my field(s).

Sometimes the publisher will waive the fee if for authors who submit electronically according to certain compatibility standards (makes it easier and quicker to push it through the referee/editing/publishing chain).

At least in the fields where I publish, what's doing the traditional journals in is the long lead time from submission to refereeing to final editing to publishing, when an author can get noticed a lot more quickly by publishing electronically for free (e.g.

). Most of the major journals don't have big problems with publishing something that's also available on the web (anyway that's what all the academics have to do.)

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

I'm not sure what you mean by open source publishing. But the big advantage of IEEE journals over articles on XYZ's web site is that they are peer reviewed and so should have a reasonable standard. That is not to say the odd bad one does not get through the peer review process, but it is not common.

In comparison, there is a lot of junk on the internet.

The authors benefit from IEEE journals by being able to put the publications on their CV. That is why some authors tend to produce lots of similar papers on the same subject. The title gets changed, the journal gets changed, but the content does not undergo much change.

It usually does not cost to get journal articles published except under a few circumstances.

1) You want colour in the printed version - that you have to pay a page charge.

2) If the articles are longer than X pages, where X varies from journal to journal.

3) You wish to make the paper available for free download to anyone rather than them pay or have a subscription. Whether the IEEE operating this way I don't know, but some journals do.

If one is to go to a conference and present work, one must pay. Given the credibility given to conference proceedings (they don't count for much on a CV), I am personally not over keen on that process. Sure people love it since it makes for a nice holiday, but you can take a lot of what is presented at conference proceedings with a pinch of salt.

Reply to
Dave

Hi Rich,

Linix is OK these days. Not as well 'integrated' as Windows -- much less OS X -- but decent... usable... even fun! I'm using Mandrake at the moment.

These days end users are used to just running "setup.exe" and having the installer do the rest. Visual Basic 6 will build such an installer for you; dunno about VB 4.

You do still see a lot of people just handing out a compiled VB programming (which is one heck of a lot smaller than a full blown installation package) and just referring people to Microsquish's web site for te run time libraries. Most usually make a point that there's a very high chance they're already installed anyway!

There's nothing on Linux quite like VB on Windows... although I've started to like Python and some of the IDEs are OK...

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

With the IEEE journals, if you get, say, six reviewers usually what happens is that 2 make no comments, 2 or 3 make relatively superficial comments about how you should be clearer in certain sections (usually a reflection that they aren't familiar with your topic, and your introduction where you're throwing out all your favorite buzzwords really hasn't been helping in that regard), etc., and -- if you're REALLY lucky -- 1 or 2 will be familiar with what the @#%#$% it is you're trying to do, will have spent the time to really sit down and try to understand you take on it, and provide truly valuable feedback.

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Actually, that was kind of my point - I just can't understand why he hasn't yet, unless it's some form of brain-lock.

I've been seriously considering trying one of the other Linuces, but only to see if their eye candy is anywheres near the calibre of Windows'. So far, Slackware 10.1 with either KDE, Gnome, or Fluxbox seems to be serving me nicely. :-)

And I finally got it through my headbone to install some virus protection for when I _have_ to boot Windows, like when I have to use apps that haven't been ported yet. Just for old time's sake, earlier today I dug out my old MS Visual Basic 4.0, and dang it, it was quite pleasant, just dragging and dropping widgets to make forms and stuff. Unfortunately, to run any app that I've written in VB4, the end user has to install the whole run-time dll package, so I guess just about everything is a trade-off of one kind or another.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

There IS!!! It's called "The Internet".

The thing is, the price you pay is wading through 1000 pages of crap to find the one page that has what you actually need - and can be deemed reliable, so to speak.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I think the primary difficulty here would be locating those who could be considered "peers". ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I read in sci.electronics.design that Rich Grise wrote (in ) about 'IEEE vs Open Source', on Wed, 14 Sep 2005:

Here, maybe, but for a dedicated web site run by credible 'editors', it shouldn't be any more difficult that for a dead-tree journal

John Woodgate

In article , Joel Kolstad wrote: [...]

Open Office's macros are slow and clunky so they are a lot like VB. :)

Actually Open Office macros aren't all that bad considering.

You can get Pascal compilers for Linux that handle the Borland extended stuff. All the old DOS stuff works under "dosemu". This means you can run the old DOS Orcad in one window and the Borland Pascal in another. While playing "kmines" in another.

The newer versions of SuSE no longer have "Billy basher" in the games collection. This is too bad. Prehaps Bill Gates was taking it personally.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Actually, I've dabbled with Qt, but got stopped because it uses a core of C++, which I haven't learned yet, albeit I have been studying it.

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise