IDC connector replacement

I need to replace the 14-pin female IDC connector on a debugger cable that mates with the 2x7 JTAG header on my microprocessor boards. Could I snip off a bit of the cable (the connections to the connector have become intermittent) and attach a new connector by hand somehow, perhaps using a small vice to seat the clamp? Digi-Key has something called a Pana-Press that apparently is the proper tool for this job but is rather expensive.

Reply to
garyr

Yep. A vise, vise grips, pliers, almost anything will work. Just squeeze it together until the two halves of the connector touch.

Bob

--
== All google group posts are automatically deleted due to spam ==
Reply to

For one-off, non-production use, a vise works fine, even a pair of pliers.

Reply to
krw

Yes, the parts have molded features that guide them as they go together and hold the ribbon in the right location, provided you squeeze them reasonably evenly. A vise or a small arbor press works just fine. The parts are cheap enough that I usually make up a new cable or two rather than try to repair an existing one.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

As mentioned, a careful application of a shop vice can do the trick.

Also mentioned were pliers. While this can "work" (for certain definitions of "work") there's also an inexpensive hand tool (one source among many is ) that's a step up from ordinary pliers: smooth jaws and parallel closing.

For onsie/twosie I'd go with the vice if there is one handy, otherwise the Eclipse tool until getting up into real production quantities.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

garyr Inscribed thus:

I use an old "Stanley" 100mm vice. Works just fine !

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

As others have noted a vice works fine. I put a wood strip between the jaw and the connector to protect the plastic. For dip pin connectors I put a couple of slots in the wood block for the pins.

Reply to
Dennis

Dennis Inscribed thus:

Actually I cheat and use an old socket to protect the pins. :-)

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

I splurge and use a new socket.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I have successfully used a vice for compression on a number of occasions, and even a pair of pliers a few times when pressed.

Reply to
Robert Baer

a vice should work as long as you get the parts aligned correctly

the main disadvantage of the vice over the special tool is that and that it takes about 10 times longer to operate, and getting the parts aligned is slightly harder.

other way to crimp them is to use pliers or slam them in a door or drawer

if you don't get the tool, get some spare connectors you may ruin the first one you try.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

I always use my vice for them... Works just fine.

Reply to
PeterD

I have found that what works best for me are parallel-jaw pliers from Knipex (available through Amazon or many tool outlets). A little pricey, but very easy to align the cable to the connector, and a perfect crimp every time. We do small production runs of various cables, and have tried many techniques over time. If you can't afford the parallel-jaw pliers, the next best thing IMHO is a small Panavise.

Greetings, Steve

Reply to
Steve Moulding

$14.99

--
For the last time:  I am not a mad scientist, I'm just a very ticked off
scientist!!!

I've done it in an ordinary vise ("vice" means "sinful stuff"), but you have to have the mating connector so you don't squash all the pins.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Hey, just call the vice squad!

The word is "vise."

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Are ya gonna call the vice squad?

It's "vise":

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

The word is also "vice".

Spehro Pefhany

Only in America ....

Reply to
who where

Well, they have weird spellings for all kinds of stuff in Rightpondia.

I think we should separate American English and Brit English and get our own language, possibly called "American English." Heck, Australia gets one of their own, called "Strine," spelled a-u-s-t-r-i-a-l-i-a-n. ;-D

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise