I need your process pictures

Hello everyone

I am working on a web site and I need your input to help me build a
section of it. This is not a sales presentation I just need your input
as fellow professionals dealing with the ROHS no lead problem.

I am in need of Pictures of your solder joint failures. I need also
what caused the error if you know it, if not, I can help you access it.

I need these pictures to be only of the solder joint area with no
proprietary items shown in the picture. I need them to be non copy
written meaning that you took them, you own them, and you are
transferring ownership to me and certifying that the pictures taken are
originals and that you are licensing me to use them.

I will need information on the process you used and the type of solder
and flux chemistry you used. Also in most cases the PCB material
(Ie..FR4, IS410 ETC...)

Board plating also can help and inf. on the component finish will help
me also.

I am building a database of problems and solutions using different
solder mixtures and profiles.

This will help our community of engineers to have one more
comprehensive resource of shared knowledge.

Please send to:

snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net

[...]

Re: I need your process pictures

How about images of perfectly working leadless
solder joints ?

Rene

Re: I need your process pictures

That'd be nice.  Lately I've been exploring Sn-Ag-Cu for hand soldering
PCBs, just in case my annual European sales were to approach two digits.  It
seems to work fine (wets okay but it does take a tad more heat), but even a
perfectly well soldered joint is grey rather than shiny.  But the PCBs I'm
using are tinned with Sn-Pb, so it's not really a good test.

I haven't heard anything definitive lately about progress in the elimination
of tin whiskers.  Some folks seem to feel that passivating the solder with
Au works; some feel that certain formulations of Sn coating on component
leads avoids the problem; it all seems to be hearsay and voodoo at this
point.  (Not to cast aspersions on practitioners of the vodun religion, of
course.)  Anybody have an update?

Re: I need your process pictures

I'd think, yes, especially if you include all of the other variables -
what alloy, what materials, what surface prep, what temp. profile,
etc., etc., etc.

Cheers!
RIch

Re: I need your process pictures