HV dielectric solution

Problem is, they get loaded there. The most classic case I've seen was in Mariposa. After the EMC sessions during the day at CKC Labs my wife and I went country dancing in a saloon. Then it happened. The usual, two guys but only one girl, lots of booze, wham, bam, beer glasses and fists flying, followed by airborne chairs. Heck, one guy even tore himself loose after the sheriff grabbed him by the collar, heading right back into the fight. It was almost exactly like in a Western.

Unless you must use union labor to insert the plastic rods :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I must lead a sheltered life. I've never seen a bar fight. Sounds like fun.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Most interesting were the tourists, folks that were here to see the real wild west. Well, they saw it alright. You should have seen the stampede out the door. They thought this only happens on TV. Afterwards we had a lot of room on the dance floor and got two beers on the house because ours had become "airborne" :-)

The toughtest bar fight I've ever seen was in the pub on base. A tank division was also stationed there and us signal corps guys were told to better stay out of their pub. After that one was over they needed all new furniture and this time they made it brawl-proof. Everything was 4*4 or thicker, and oak.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

s)

)

I know, it just sounded like no one had an idea what rigidity might mean in the context. not so much like wanting to get clarified whether it mean temporary or continuous

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Le 19/05/2012 17:10, Spehro Pefhany a écrit :

Hi,

Ok i meant "dielectric strenght".

Habib

Le 19/05/2012 18:42, John Larkin a écrit : Hi John,

I want to send an UART stream between two circuits in a single PCB where a 10KV voltage difference may occurs rarely (accidently in fact). According the IEC 61010 standard the "passing" test is to apply 10KV between the two circuits for 1 minute. A more stringent test is to apply a "choke wave". A more stringent test is to apply a "shock wave" rising from 0V to 20KV in 1,2s and back down to 0V in 50us.

As Joerg suggests a Manchester coding scheme over the UART is more accurate in that case. Good point.

Yes.

10$ is far than the design budget permits :-(

10$ is far than the manufacturing budget permits. (from here i hear shouting my client...!)

John please remember ; 50K pces/year, 1Mbits/s. I have no doubt it can be working but it seems to complex and far too expensive (may be). Lately i've been hearing my client shouting and now he whips me out ...

Habib

I missed what speed you needed.

But cheap is using infrared wireless link chips - no pipe, no sturcture to 'violate' and provide a breakdown path.

Just shinethe LED's up and around inside, place ANYWHERE on your PCB, too.

Reply to
Robert Macy

I'd have thought a pub catering to Panzers would have been brawl-proof already ;-)

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Must be a part of Mariposa I've not seen. I've always found it bland/touristy.

I've only ever stayed there a couple of nights, on the way to/from Yosemite. I usually drive straight through, Merced is cheaper.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

It was right on 140, you must have must passed it. Touristy, yes, but they all scurried out of there after the saloon fight.

Well, CKC (the EMC place) is at Lush Meadows and Mariposa is the closest town.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

seem IrDA is almost a perfect match, it is basically uart over IR and up to ~1.1Mb it doesn't use any fancy modulation.

Though the cheapest I could find on a quick google is ~2$ for a tranceiver and you'll need two

maybe a side view smd IR led and photo diode if you can find one thats fast enough

seen bpv22nf used for IrDA, it is side view but not smd

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

That 20kV requirement would put you beyond most integrated solutions. The one I pointed out should be able to accommodate you but it can get expensive. Then John's idea of using two devices and a coupling medium may be better. For the coupling medium I suggest fiberoptics. Because then there is a chance that you can buy an off-the-shelf-part with the connectors already on there instead of the hassle of having a machine shop cut custom pieces. If it's too long (which it usually will be) you can roll up the excess length. But make sure not go below the minimum allowed radius.

Talk to TE Connectivity. I have used their FO cables with the blue plastic "push and click" connectors many years ago. Don't remember what they cost but that part of my design was almost in the noise from a cost point of view. They should also be able to tell you where to get low cost transceiver modules that fit their cables and your 1Mbps data rate.

Yikes! Whipping? What country is that in? Last time I was whipped was in school and to this day I exactly remember why :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

1 MBPS might be tricky. The IR remote things get their s/n by modulating the light at 40 KHz or something, and bandpass filtering at the receiver. Data rates are low.

The IR remote parts, leds and photodiodes, would be good choices, because they are cheap and the receiver comes with a filter of sorts. But a baseband link makes sense at 1 MBPS, and that will need a decent optical path. Just free space might work over an inch or so. Maybe two TO92's facing one another.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

irda is baseband rzi up to 1.152 Mbit/s it is just one pulse/no pulse per bit it is supposed to work at up to 1 meter or something like that through air

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

I've hammered 50MHz analog across fairly cheap IR, wasn't really a big deal. The last one is pulsed, but this time in the single-digit nsec range and quite snappy.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

manufacturers)

(1Mbits/s)

nk/

talk

in.

for

permanently

barrier

apart,

Gosh, John. We all heard your favorite solution enough times already. = You are being narcissistically repetitious.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Then suggest a solution of your own.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Don't forget, HV attracts dust.

Reply to
tm

Le 20/05/2012 17:12, Joerg a écrit :

I will contact TE Conn and Avago this week. Many thx Joerg.

I started a joke, in France one does not whip anyone before 15 years old but one does it after for long time ... My wife does not appreciate that kind of humour ... shame on me :-(

Best regards, H

Reply to
Habib

BPV22NF is a good choice, as well as its 950 nm brother whose name I forget--it's the same device with a different dye in the epoxy to move the absorption edge out to slightly longer wavelength.

They're not very fast, but you don't need much speed in that application. Be sure to use a big reverse bias, because that'll let you use a much noisier TIA.

Also use as much TX power as you can conveniently manage, and test it with a CF lamp in close proximity. Electronic-ballast fluorescent lights put out an incredibly evil spectrum of modulated light, up to > 1 MHz.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs