Solder to Aluminum?

Hi:

I have voice coils wound with aluminum magnet wire that I need to solder to a flex-PCB with tin plated pads.

Any idea on the best alloy/flux combo for that? Low melting temperature possible would be best to avoid harming the polyimide PCB substrate.

Thanks.

-- _______________________________________________________________________ Christopher R. Carlen Principal Laser/Optical Technologist Sandia National Laboratories CA USA snipped-for-privacy@BOGUSsandia.gov NOTE, delete texts: "RemoveThis" and "BOGUS" from email address to reply.

Reply to
Chris Carlen

Depends somewhat on the size of your wire. There are various fluxes containing fluorides that can work on aluminum.

There's some stuff called "solder-it" or "Kool-it brand" made by universal corporation. They have a lot of specialty soldering stuff.

There's some aluminum welding rod called Welco 52. Can get it at any welding supply house. Made for low temperature welding of aluminum pieces. Also sold in hardware stores as no-flux aluminum solder or brazing rod.

If your wire is big enough, you can use the Welco 52 and a torch to "tin" the wire. Then you can solder to the Welco 52 coating. I've used that technique to make aluminum resonant cavities that I could assemble with ordinary solder.

Voice coil implies motion. Aluminum doesn't flex well. Make sure the aluminum part stays rigid. mike

with links.  Delete this sig when replying.
.
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
mike

That would be a nice way to do things, if there was enough space. But the coil terminations are about 4mm long, recessed in a notch in the aluminum coil former. I have existing coils that I wish to rebuild, that were soldered, so I know it can be done.

Thanks for the input.

Good day!

crcarleRemoveThis@BOGUSsandia.gov
NOTE, delete texts: "RemoveThis" and "BOGUS" from email address to reply.
Reply to
Chris Carlen

Spot weld the aluminum wire to copper wire. If you don't want to spot weld, then use crimp hardware designed for aluminum/copper connections. Then solder the copper wire to whatever.

Al

Reply to
Al

cant say if this is suitable or not, but the soldering iron tip wetter/flux/solder paste has an extremly active flux, ive used it to solder nichrome wire onto a pcb before, i did have some aluminium solder too but dont think i had much luck with it.

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

I'd say 'forget it'. There are solders that will join aluminium to copper, but most involve an intermediate alloy, and some fairly nasty fluxes, and are usually at the higher temperature end of normal soft soldering temperatures. Have a look at:

and look at Tra-Duct 2902. This could be ideal for the application.

Best Wishes

Reply to
Roger Hamlett

There are quite a few metal filled epoxies around. Some with quite low resistance (the silver impregnated ones). Check the industry for those and then there's always:

Robert

Reply to
Robert

You are on the right track: don't let the Al2O3 reform. Instead of vacuum/inert gas, I had good luck with soldering under a droplet of engine oil. I was soldering to a 1mm by 1 cm Al strip, using a small 30 W iron; I wetted the tip with a blob of solder, and touched the side of the oil droplet, while scrapping the area covered by oil with a dental pick. Within 10-20 seconds, the solder wetted the scratched area under the oil.

Reply to
przemek klosowski

JB Weld is excellent to hold things together. BUT. It is a darn good *insulator*.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Over 40 years ago, i wanted to solder to aluminum, and so bought some special solder for that, useable with ordinary solder irons. A bit problematic, as it had chromium (if i remember correctly), and the fumes were toxic. Worked *very* well; in fact, too well if the aluminum was too thin; the alloy crept underneath the oxide skin and leached the aluminum, making it thinner if one was not careful. The basic secret to soldering aluminim, is getting underneath or thru the oxide skin without allowing the aluminum to protect itself by creating new oxide. One can use ordinary electronic solder, and a rather active flux to break down the oxide and cover the area from oxygen. Once there is a break, the solder will *very* easily flow underneath the skin (makes it bulge as the solder flows underneath). The solder will quickly flow over the are wheer it is hot enough to keep it a liquid. So if you can heat a local are just enough to get that break, and quickly wipe the oxide off as it cools, then one can later do a quick solder of a copper wire to that area. Practice a lot on first a 1/16th inch sheet and then on similarly sized wires before doing the real thing!

Reply to
Robert Baer

Well, I use Alusol from Multicore. It is listed for example at

(search for Alusol). Melting point may be rather high perhaps - and the website says not suitable for electrical joints - but it works for me.

Reply to
richard mullens

Solder in an inert atmosphere/vacuum, maybe?

-- A host is a host from coast to snipped-for-privacy@nrk.com & no one will talk to a host that's close........[v].(301) 56-LINUX Unless the host (that isn't close).........................pob 1433 is busy, hung or dead....................................20915-1433

Reply to
David Lesher

No need for that extreme; most liquid fluxes stay around and keep the oxygen out.

Reply to
Robert Baer

OIL! Did not think of that. Forgive the pun, but that was a slick idea!

Reply to
Robert Baer

There is an alloy from Indium Corp that is 91Sn 9Zn which can solder Al with a flux. I'm waiting for them to get back to me.

I can't find a US distributor of that Alusol anywhere. Thanks for the link, though.

Good day!

Christopher R. Carlen
Principal Laser/Optical Technologist
Sandia National Laboratories CA USA
crcarleRemoveThis@BOGUSsandia.gov
NOTE, delete texts: "RemoveThis" and "BOGUS" from email address to reply.
Reply to
Chris Carlen

I haven't done it in years, but I recall a block of some substance with which you abraded the surface of the aluminum and then you could solder to it in a normal fashion.

...Jim Thompson

The technique I've read for soldering to aluminum with zinc alloys is to melt a blob of solder onto the aluminum and then to keep scratching back and forth at the bottom of the puddle with the soldering iron tip. This scratches through the aluminum oxide layer and exposes fresh aluminum which the solder bonds to, while the puddle of solder itself keeps oxygen away.

-- Regards, Carl Ijames carl.ijames at verizon.net

Reply to
Carl Ijames

Might be sal ammoniac also known as ammonium chloride. You used to be able to buy them at Sears many moons ago.

Al

Reply to
Al
[...]

You'd think a bullet hole would mean a ruined engine and a crashed plane.

Where and how can you put a hole in an engine without destroying it?

Mike Monett

Reply to
Mike Monett

hole

I knocked a hole in the oil pan of my truck. Was not destroyed. Wasn't a bullet hole tho...unless it was a really big bullet. mike