How to repair this cellphone? Where is it?

Hi guys, was getting too many spam mail on my cellphone, and decided to fix it. So opened it and removed the battery, and then the plastic foil with those black shields. Threw that away, always treat my phone nice, so no need for that. But where is the thing that does everything? I do not see any electronics apart from that plastic strip that hangs from the display, It sheared a bit, but i think I can glue that. But cannot find the electronics. Where is it?

Reply to
Wilma Leater

Skybuck is that you?

Reply to
Kennedy

Ummm... what type of "cell" is your phone?

The spam will stop if you just turn off your cell phone. No need to fix anything. You can also block incoming spam with a "spam shield".

There is no electronics inside. The latest cell phone technologies are SDR (software defined radio), VM (virtual machine), and cloud storage. The electronics has been converted to software, vitualized, and stored somewhere in the cloud. This is for your own good so that you don't tinker with the electronics. In the future, expect more and more devices to built purely from software, virtualized, and stored on the cloud, to improve security, reduce costs, and discourage tinkers and butchers like yourself.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Haven't you heard? Everything is wireless now, including your electronics.

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

Sno-o-o-ort >:-}

I'm loving Ooma more and more. I don't publicize my cell number, but have my office number forwarded to my cell.

The real goody of Ooma... there is a community blocklist against spam, plus there is your own personal one... none of these numbers ring your Ooma phone OR get forwarded!! ...Jim Thompson

I think there is something broken on those block list programs, because I still get more than I want..

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

While the virtualization etc., are all true, there HAS to be a receiver and a transmitter on the physical device(cell phone), otherwise how could the cell phone communicate with the nearest tower ?

Reply to
dakupoto

hose black shields.

using sarcasm ? ;)

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

true, there HAS to be a receiver and a transmitter on the physical device(cell phone), otherwise how could..."

That is so 2014. HELLO, it is 2062 now and, wait.

Dammit ! the dash lights are out on the time machine again. Nevermind.

Reply to
jurb6006

Since the OP could not find any electronics inside his formerly functional cell phone, it is necessary to proceed on the assumption that it is possible to communicate without electronics. Historical texts will show that human communications was possible prior to the invention of electronics, although I'm having difficulties imagining how that might be possible. I've seen people at restaurant tables phone or text each other rather than attempt direct communications via an acoustic link, or possibly two tin cans and a string. Google finds numerous historical references to such direct interpersonal communications, but offers little in the way of example of how it might be performed without an electronic proxy.

I can also assume that the cell phone in question is a smartphone. These are quite different from ordinary cell phones in that they are often smarter than the owner. In this case, the loss of the smarts provided by the OP's smartphone has resulted in an obvious loss of intelligence, as demonstrated by the lack of detail and specifics in the OP's question. Fortunately, a replacement smartphone and attendant brain boost can be contractually provided by merely signing up for 2 years of indentured servitude to the cellular provider.

A straight line projection of the progress of smartphones is impossible to predict, but that has never stopped me. At the present rate of progress in miniaturization, it's possible that the smartphone of the future will be surgically implanted in the owners cranium. This will make hands free operation far simpler and provide a form of augmented intelligence. It's possible that the OP has somehow obtained a prototype of such a device. From the marketing standpoint, surgically implanted smartphones might create some buyer resistance. Therefore, something familiar to the buyer will need to be provided. In this case, a familiar looking placebo smartphone will offer a familiar device with which the buyer can relate. No electronics is required as the buyer is not expected to understand how the implanted phone operates. I suspect this is what the OP is trying to repair.

While reverse engineering the technology from such limited information is risky and potentially erroneous, I would give it a 52.76325% chance of being accurate.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

At the present

Yes, of course, this is the "skullular phone". It not only provides continuous communication, it also cooks the brain of the implantee. And, maybe, has a self-destruct that can be activated by remote control.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Whatever the OP might say, the ultimate arbiter is Mother Nature and the physics of radio communication. There HAS to be an antenna on the smart(or maybe smartest phone), and consequently there HAS to be the electronics to process the signals received by the antenna, or to be sent via the antenna(demodulation/modulation). The cell phone tower obviously cannot do it for the cell phone user. My old Nokia(bought in 2008) still works perfectly fine, and compared to that the modern day smartest phones I see are large. Surely the smartest phone's snazzy back- lit display is not being driven by the cloud, so it would be very simple to have all the electronics integrated in a module at the back of the display. And, no sarcasm intended.

Reply to
dakupoto

Like all the other posters in this thread, you're overthinkng it.

You've achieved your objective, which was to prevent getting spam emails.

Close the case back up and don't worry about it.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752

I doubt it there's enough brain power available to power a full size cell phone implant. Certainly nothing that can produce the approximately 50 mw of RF needed to communicate with a cell tower directly. More likely, the initial implants will operate at a much lower power level suitable for replacing the Bluetooth headset (probably at a lower RF frequency).

That would interfere with the mandatory government tracking feature and probably void the warranty.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

The ultimate arbiter of anything RF is the FCC, which has been known to trump both physics and common sense quite successfully. No matter what you suggest, if it doesn't pass FCC scrutiny, it's not going to happen.

So, whom am I going to believe? The OP who testified that there was no electronics inside his (presumed) smart phone, or you who claims that electronics is necessary for the phone to function. Obviously, you have not surveyed the cell phone market. For example, these phone function quite nicely with little or no electronics: The owners of these phones seem to be talking to someone, even though there's no electronics inside. I have no idea if they're talking to a cell site, DAS (distributed antenna system), small cell system, or Part 15 micro cellular radio via the internet. The point is that they are talking, therefore they must function.

Actually, it can. There have been experiments with non-powered devices similar to RFID tags on the cellular networks. Such a phone would be powered by rectified RF or other energy harvesting technology. "Shake to talk". The range is rather limited, therefore such devices have not appeared commercially. For display, the e-paper type displays draw very little power and do not require backlighting.

Dick Tracy style wrist cell phones are coming real-soon-now. High power density batteries and voice dialing make such phones practical.

When OLED displays become more common, backlighting will not be necessary. They are also more flexible than ordinary LCD displays. Gluing a smart phone to your forearm is a real possibility, especially with a cranial implant headset.

Good intentions often don't produce the desired results. Just think of my approach as a form a science fiction, where the technology discussed may not be currently accurate, but might have possibilities in the future. No sarcasm required.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Try 20W (twenty Watts) available power:

Of course it's "available" as the heat residue of metabolism, so conversion efficiency limits apply.

Well, once the "terminal" is destroyed, there's no need to track it, now is there?

If the warranty isn't transferable, no issue.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752

The problem with using that energy is that there's nothing left to run the brain. This is not a problem as most people also fail to use their brain while talking on a cell phone. The rather high vehicular accident rate involving cell phones is a good indication of this lack of brain power. Harnessing the rather small temperature differential (about 10C) between skin temperature and ambient temperature is also possible with Peltier junction devices or various thermocouples. The clothes we wear could be made from semiconductor thermocouples to power the cell phone, or with an independent power source used for personal heating and cooling (wearable heat pump).

Hardly. Government research funding would immediately appear for studies of terminated cell phone users to determine if the carcass presents some manner of environmental hazard, contributes to global warming, or affects government tax revenue. Such research could be funded by taxing the dead or cell phone implant tax. While the implant might be destroyed along with the owner, the government mandated tracking device (module) would certainly need to be preserved to expedite such research projects.

True. However, in some countries, it is actionable to sue on behalf of the dead. I suspect that collecting on a post mortem cell phone warranty, on behalf of the deceased owners relations, might also possible. Mostly, it's used to sue for a wrongful death due to medical malpractice. It would not be much of stretch to consider a cell phone implant as a medical monitoring device, especially since it probably needs to be implanted by a medical professional. Premature or uncontrolled self recycling (detonation) would probably be considered a warranty failure by a jury of clueless peers, since the event occurred while the owner was still alive.