how to repair lifted trace pads ?

Is it necesary to repair lifted traces/pads ?

its actually a pad at the end of a trace to mount a wire/pin connection to another board (not a hole)

if one does need to repair then how does one ree-glue or repair a lifted trace/pad ?

thanks for any help, robb

Reply to
robb

I have used super glue (ca). Be careful when you solder over it, the fumes are nasty.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

--
Yeah...

_Cyano_  acrylate
Reply to
John Fields

Superglue is relatively nontoxic, it's been used to close wounds, but the fumes sure do sting.

If the pad is badly lifted I often just use a scrap of resistor lead or wire wrap wire to jumper the component lead to good trace further up.

Reply to
James Sweet

I get soldered coated adhesive patch strips.. I haven't got any in a while, Radio Shaft use to sell them.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jamie

It's nice to glue the pad back down but more important to make sure the connection to the trace is secure. Having lifted, it may be weakened and ready to break off.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

I agree with the former poster that it's better to solder the lead to the remaining trace. I've done that on several boards, and it's caused no problems.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Thanks Tom, component was allready soldered to pad but pad had lifted (too much heat ?)

so i used the super glue and small spring clamp to press it tight to board ... worked great.

mabe i should paint a small skull and cross bones on top or nextt o pad forfuture reference :) robb

Reply to
robb

wounds, but the

lead or wire

up.

Thanks for reply,

the pad lifted after soldering the connection, so i wanted to stabilize the pad in case i was too rough or so it would not lean over onto some other trace.

thanks for ideas, robb

Reply to
robb

it can often

will remelt

it fumes badly

thanks Arfa,

that was exactly the situation... flapping around i tried the super glue before i read your post though

in this case the reheat may not have worked as the under side of pad became contaminated with rosin flux which i flushed before super gling

thanks for ideas, robb

Reply to
robb

Loctite 404.. or Plumbers PVC glue.

At the shop, we have some leftover 2 part mix glue that is now outlawed. You have to wear a face shield when applying in a very opened or ventilated area. You place one compound on one piece while you place the other compound on the other piece to be joined. Nothing takes place until you actually join them. You have to be rather quick in getting them into position correctly. It gives off a mist that is very toxic. This is for industrial use only and requires a on sight permit to use it.

Now we can't get any more, but still have a rather good supply of it. When you need to do things like bonding Nylon, Teflon etc. that is what we use.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jamie

"robb" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

IMO,the only sure way for pad repair is to set an eyelet. You get mechanical security that way,and can replace the component again if necessary without further damage.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jim Yanik

On SMD boards I've used little slivers of RF shielding tape to make new tracks. It's copper tape with adhesive on one side, you can choose whether the adhesive is conductive or not. The adhesive is just enough to keep the pad in place, and probably enough if the component isn't too big. You can then solder it straight onto the component and an existing track (flux helps here). The biggest difficulty is avoiding surface tension holding it to the soldering iron and coming away when you remove the iron. (Using lead-based solder tends to help here).

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

I keep a small piece in my drawers when I need to repair a board.

You don't know how funny that sounds in England ... !! :-)

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

At work, some of the products that get manufactured there uses a copper tape with an adhesive backing that requires heating prior to be laid on the surface. I keep a small piece in my drawers when I need to repair a board. I just cut, press and hold with the soldering iron.

It's a high temperature glue that is inductive heated at process time while it's being wrapped around a cable core.

The inductive heater and controls was one of my projects and the mechanical was done by the other skilled personal.

The whole project was credited to a process engineer that did nothing but probe all us for idea's and had us implement it.

And when it's time to go home for the day, they don't know you any better than the day of your hire.

That's gratifying to say the least.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jamie

Sounds funny here too - although the reference is archaic it's not one that goes unnoticed. Poster's remarks were rife with other structure, grammar and punctuation errors.

Reply to
Smitty Two

There's some interesting linguisic things coming up this week ! I didn't realise that you used the word "drawers" to mean anything other than its basic over there, or that the American sense of humour made use of inuendo or double entendre. Watching American comedy shows over here, and having visited many times, I'd always thought that your humour was pretty straightforward. Learn something new every day ! Did you see the reply to your question about "going down a storm" ?

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

99% of American TV shows are dumbed down to about the third-grade toilet humor level. Pathetic. Innuendo, double entendre are still very much alive amongst the few people here who are still intelligent enough to understand subtlety and sophisticated humor. Mine tends to the bone dry side and I often get blank stares from people. Seems if you're not laughing at your own joke, others are too stupid to figure out that it *is* a joke. I think I often offend people on usenet because I refuse to append the smiley emoticon to my witticisms, and they're too weak-brained to discern the humor, instead taking offense.

I'll be getting to the other topic presently.

Reply to
Smitty Two

I know what you mean, which is why I usually do put the smiley faces. Many is the time that I have 'put my foot in it' over in your fair land, when I have made some straight-faced throw-away comment to a person, only to get a perfectly blank stare back, instead of a "yeah, yeah" grin that I would have got here. I can't remember exactly what it was now, but last time we were over in Florida, my wife made some witty comment to a restaurant server that was somehow linked to his name, and he gave us a look like he thought we were being really rude to him. I felt compelled to explain the 'joke' to him, and when he got it, he was in hysterics, and went away muttering stuff like "boy that's a good one ...!!" I too like dry humour. Some of your comedy programmes go down really well here, as I'm sure that some of ours do over there, but I'm equally sure that many of ours that find their way onto your screens leave a lot of those blank stares behind ... Come to that, they probably do here, as well ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

third-grade toilet

much

enough to

bone dry

not

that it

refuse to

don't stop there Smitty2, almost all American entertainment seems **engineered** and for what ? i believe mass market appeal as it is considered a vehicle/means for selling stuff and making lots of money. Entertainment lost it's art but every once in a long while some clever entertainment appears and quickly dies because the few 100s thousands that watch do not contribute **enough** to the bottom line.

there are plenty of clever people, just too many numbed by the garbage they let the industry dump into there brains. maybe the entertainment industry will be the next to fall like the **big tobacco**. Scientists prove that poor entertainment does reduce your IQ and dull your wit. Of course there is no law against dumbing people down but i am sure some class action lawyer is working on it.

robb

Reply to
robb