how to hold PCBs at right angles to each other?

If only it were that simple!

Reply to
Michael

How can you insure that the critical part on the boards are aligned level? Laminate isn't that precise a material.

I'd take a machinists gauge block, glue the critical parts to it, and the find some way to solder the boards to that. With some other support to the boards so they don't stress the connection to the critical parts.

Mark Zenier snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Googleproofaddress(account:mzenier provider:eskimo domain:com)

Reply to
Mark Zenier

edge connectors. right-angle pin headers, slot-and-tab board outlines....

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen

clamp them to a known good cube, and then solder them.

one of those cheap glass papwerweight crystals might be cubic enough, or you may have to get somthing made.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen

How about a cube of G10? Basically, you can have a 3D circuit board.

Reply to
MooseFET

I once took an IBM PSU apart. It had a PCB inside which had a 90 degree bend in it with tracks running over the bend (1.5mm epoxy FR4 material). I only have a few regrets throwing that board away is one of them :-)

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

I once mounted a PCB at right angles in the middle of another PCB by using a routed slot in the base board, with the vertical board having a couple of tight fitting pins going through the board near the bottom edge so the vertical board rested on these pins which were then soldered. Was used for a 3-axis accelerometer and worked well. This was for a very small board though so warping was not a an issue.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones