Tube VHF power stage

Can anyone tell me where to find, or start looking for, a relatively modern one or two stage vacuum tube power amp that I can feed with a standard lab VHF generator. 15-20W output would be sufficient. Prefer single ended and lowest practical B+.

Claus Jensen

Reply to
Claus Jensen

Why?

Vacuum tube power stages make lots of sense when you get too big for a couple of transistors; they're the bee's knees if you want to go above a kilowatt or so.

But 20W is well within the capability of a beefy transistor stage. What do you perceive as being so special about a tube amp?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

In this case, I am interested in the higher output impedance tubes present. I would prefer not to use a matching network.

Claus

Reply to
Claus Jensen

Just some questions. How much does your generator output? What is the bandwidth of the desired amplifier (30 MHz to 300 MHz)? Why tubes, solid state can do up to 1 kW even at 30 Mhz to 300 MHz. Please provide enough information to make reasonable design choices.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

Tubes in that power and frequency range have Rp of several hundreds to some thousands of ohms. Transistors are much closer to 50 ohms (Rc or Rd) in that power range, especially some higher than needed power FET's

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller