How to get any book, impress the masses, silence small dogs, and awe even experts...

Now that Ive got your attention, this post is about how to get nearly any book.

  1. Go to

  1. Look up your book in the easy to use search bar.

  2. get the title, author, date info. You just need the first few words of the title, and the first author.

  1. go to your library web page (or reference librarian in person.) and give the information. You will get the book in a week or so via ILL or interlibrary loan.

Note: Pay attention to the format. ILL only does print books, as far as I know. If you need an electronic version of a book, then try a technical library in a university.

BTW: If you have a small business, you can actually become a library yourself. Has certain advantages...

I have heard that even chihuahuas can be stunned into silence by this acquired knowledge...

jb

Reply to
haiticare2011

book.

the

ve the

y loan.

Hmm Well not for me. I'm an Alumnus at a local University and I can go the re and sign out books for a month. (and also download articles for free, pr ovided I do it from their computer.) But I can't get an ILL unless I'm fac ulty, staff, or a student. At least that was the story a few years ago... last time I tried.

For a bit of thread drift I did find a book I wanted on getebook.org. *BUT

  • I couldn't open up the zip file without a password and the only way to ge t a password was to take some gawd awful survey. I couldn't be bothered. (Since I wasn't even sure I'd get the book when I was done.)

Any 'better' e book sites?

George H.

know.

y in a

self.

uired knowledge...

Reply to
George Herold

Amazon will get you almost any book in hardcopy, actually from bookstores all over the country. It's not uncommon to see the lowest price be 1 cent (plus shipping and handling.)

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I've been trying to get 'Fly Fishing' by J.R. Hartley for years, but none of these bookstores can source it.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

try alibris?

George h.

Reply to
George Herold

Well, that's not Amazon but an affiliate seller.

books.google.com will find everything you ever wanted to know about the complete printing history of the book, who has it for sale, and what libraries have it.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Gosh, do you mean "from bookstores all over the country." ?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Doesn't have to be a bookstore, asshole. It could be anyone, like a student even, before Amazon started buying their books and stocking them in its "fulfillment" centers, asshole. Anything else, asshole?

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

More accurately, "from some booksellers that happen to be scattered across the US and maybe others". Ditto Abe Books.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Yes, else. When I buy used books from Amazon, they are shipped from bookstores all over the country.

Precision electronic instrumentation

Isn't it nice to get multiple copies of a book from many bookstores all over the country?

Reply to
Robert Baer

ent even, before Amazon started buying their books and stocking them in its "fulfillment" centers, asshole. Anything else, asshole?

tores

That's when you buy older low demand used books. More and more of the newer in-demand, but used, books are coming out of the fulfillment centers. Amaz on has a record of every book you ever purchased through them and will, not infrequently, send an unsolicited offer to purchase a specific book from y ou. They do some other stuff too, but it's not my job to give away their wh ole business strategy.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

com

est

udent even, before Amazon started buying their books and stocking them in i ts "fulfillment" centers, asshole. Anything else, asshole?

kstores

er in-demand, but used, books are coming out of the fulfillment centers. Am azon has a record of every book you ever purchased through them and will, n ot infrequently, send an unsolicited offer to purchase a specific book from you. They do some other stuff too, but it's not my job to give away their whole business strategy.

Oops, forgot to append the "asshole" appellation...

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Not infrequently? I've bought tons of books, and other stuff, from Amazon, but they've never offered to buy anything from me.

Precision electronic instrumentation

Typing profanities just makes you profanely wrong, rather than your usual simply wrong.

Precision electronic instrumentation

Asshole is not profanity, it is a designation. And you're another loudmouth with no follow through. Show me how I've been the usual "simply wrong," asshole.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

That's because your purchases are dull, and uninteresting.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

OK, Amazon's business model is to sell people books and then buy them back. That way, that don't waste space in their warehouses, storing books. I suppose they also make money on the 150% kickback they get from the US Postal Service.

So, has anyone here received an email from Amazon, wanting to buy an Amazon-purchased book back?

Precision electronic instrumentation

Several times.

tm

Reply to
Tom Miller

k. That

they

Books are becoming a smaller fraction of their sales. If Amazon had their w ay everything would be Kindle-ized, no warehousing required. They have some thing going now where they offer short term Kindle access to books purchase d in hard copy, Microsoft's desktop Kindle eBook reader is a free download. Anyway, they have much greater ambitions for their gazillion sf of warehou se space than just storing books.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred