How to block Google Groups

Neat. Thanks.

default

For those OE users, you can: Go to: Tools / Message Rules / News... Start a new rule, where the "From:" line contains "@gmail.com" (or any other options you'd like, sadly OE doesn't include most header fields), mark or delete the message.

I have it set to mark as Ignored, and I have a setting "Hide Ignored Messages", which is set under the View / Current View menu. At the moment, it appears I have 4436 messages total (through February), 3672 hiding ignored messages, some of which are threads I've ignored (Message / Ignore Conversation).

Tim

Tim Williams

To see if google does anything about it, I just reported a whole bunch of them.

It will be interesting to see if the reported profiles go away.

Reply to
MooseFET

I have this nice bridge for sale in Brooklyn. Buy it today, and I'll throw in some nice oceanfront property in Phoenix.

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Their anti-spam process appears to be FULLY automated. It CAN work, but it requires MANY reports to reach critical mass.

It will take a complete re-think of Google's methodology before we see a *big* difference on that front.

Now that their poorly-designed front gates have been breached, in light of the non-linear increase, I doubt many will bother to report. I used to add a report to Google while I was reporting the jerks; I've just given up on that.

In some cases, I *have* seen reports to ISPs have an effect. Currently, *that* is where any effort should go IMO.

Reply to
JeffM

Jeez!

Got any material that is older or even less humorous?

Reply to
Do I really need to say?

No, but I've got this:

A blonde's car gets a flat tire on I-80 westbound during rush hour. She eases her car onto the shoulder of the road. She carefully steps out of the car and opens the trunk. She takes out two cardboard men, unfolds them, and stands them at the rear of the vehicle facing oncoming traffic. The lifelike cardboard men are in trench coats, exposing their nude bodies to approaching drivers. Not surprisingly, traffic becomes snarled and backed up.

It's not long before a state trooper's car arrives. The trooper, clearly agitated, approaches the blonde yelling, "What is going on here?" "My car broke down, Officer" says the woman, calmly. "Well, what the hell are these obscene cardboard pictures doing here by the road?!" asks the Officer.

"Helllllooooo ... those are my emergency flashers!"

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Bwuahahaha... as much as I hate your retarded ass... that was indeed funny.

Reply to
Do I really need to say?

Aside from the validation errors, it is very badly designed. Like some of the semiconductor manufacturers sites.

Reply to
JosephKK

That sounds like we need to ask someone (Jan?) to write a program to automate reporting. We could then slam their mailboxes with legitimate reports, they would almost have to act, though not necessarily appropriately.

Reply to
JosephKK

The oreilly.com site really has one big error that manufactures most of the others: a DOCTYPE of XHTML 1.0 Transitional. It only has 145 errors when validated against as HTML 4.01 Transitional.

--
Guy Macon
Reply to

Mart>The oreilly.com site really has one big error that manufactures

WRT Martin's observation (which I hoped would be noted), you'd think *this* company would have a clue about standards compliance and validation. It's obvious they made zero effort on that front. Just pitiful.

Reply to
JeffM

They would just kill filter anyone who reports a lot of spam.