Sylvania R1131C octal tube ?

I got a couple of the subject tubes which are supposed to be "glow modulator tubes". Best I can determine is that the light output will vary with current but I can't find data sheet googling. If anyone has pinout and/or data I'd sure like to see it. I think it might be a mid

1960s item as my 1957 Sylvania manual doesn't show it. thanks
--

73
Hank WD5JFR

"Henry Kolesnik" wrote in message news:f%XCj.32304$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr14.news.prodigy.net...

Google is your friend. See:

for a little information. Unfortunately they require a membership fee to download the datasheet illustrated. Evidently these tubes were orginally used for early facsimile machines (the sort used to send newspaper wire photos) but the search shows it was also used extensively in vision research. Perhaps someone knows of a better source for the datasheet.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

I have a Sylania Technical Manual of tube data sheets dated 1959 and have the blue add-ons to 1960, and that tube is not listed anywhere in it. Sorry.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Google "crater lamp"

-- Mike Schultz

Reply to
Mike Schultz

Sounds like what we used to call "crater" (sp?) tubes and were used in NOAA weather satellite optical printers for APT data in the 80's. Muirhead (UK) was the mfgr. of the receiver/printer units. I simply don't recall who mfg the tubes, though. They were octal based, however.

Reply to
K3HVG

Yes, it's definitely a crater tube. I don't have a data sheet on that one, but I have the phototube volume of the RCA HB-3 which has some other more or less similar crater tubes listed. The data sheet has a chart of light output vs. current and it's not very linear, but it tries to be.

They were used in some early computer plotters and in a bunch of chart recorders as well.

--scott

--
"C\'est un Nagra.  C\'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
Reply to

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

It's also got a very interesting mounting collar on it. Is that part of the tube socket, or completely separate from it?

Reply to
Jim Menning

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

tubes". Best I can determine is that the

If anyone has pinout and/or data I'd sure like

doesn't show it.

the blue add-ons to 1960, and that tube is not

Hi Robert,

I have some PDF's of scanned tube manuals(Eimac, Taylor RCA), I would love to trade a few for a pdf of the Sylvania Manuals. If interested email me.

Martin Riddle

There is a Sylvania tube manual on-line at:

However, it does not cover the R1131C

Lots of other good stuff on this site including several RCA tube manuals and many books. All in PDF form but _very_ large files.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Everyone replies, and yet you get no answers,

R-1131C,D Max dcv 150 ma. 3-25 peak ma. 55 starting voltage 225 crater dia. .093 candelpower .2@25 ma. light color white

Reply to
gudmundur

Pretty good, but not my idea of big files. That starts with very full CD images and up. I do not bat an eye at downloading full multiple DVD distributions of Linux. I have dual layer rewriters and media as well.

Reply to
JosephKK

What is the pin arrangement?

--
---
Richard Knoppow

What is the pin arrangement?

--
---
Richard Knoppow

This Sylvania industrial tube catalog has ratings only, and sadly no pinouts. It does say the light beam can be modulated up to 1 mhz. Pretty good bandwidth for old technology.

Reply to
gudmundur

Thanks for all the help.. I also found this on an old schematic where they show a 1 meg resistor across the 3 & 7. pin 3 cathode pin 7 anode

--

73 Hank WD5JFR
Reply to