comp.lang.embedded blocked on Google Groups!

Banned Content Warning The group you are attempting to view (comp.lang.forth) has been identified as containing spam, malware, or other malicious content. Content in this group is now limited to view-only mode for those with access.

Group owners can request an appeal after they have taken steps to clean up potentially offensive content in the forum. For more information about content policies on Google Groups see our Help Center article on abuse and our Terms of Service.

WTF!!!???

Anyone know what is going on? Was this some spam attack or did someone report the bickering as spam?

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

It seems to be working fine for real newsservers and real newsreaders. (It's not a group I follow, but I checked it out for you.) Perhaps it's just Google Groups that sees a problem. GG posters are usually the source of spam and floods - maybe Google has started doing something about it.

But it strikes me as yet another reason why it is long past time to dump that broken client and get a real newsreader and real newsserver.

Reply to
David Brown

Am 26.07.2020 um 01:06 schrieb Rick C:

........................................^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Doesn't look like that says comp.arch.embedded there, does it?

Reply to
Hans-Bernhard Bröker

uk.telecom was troubled by drugs spam from Google Groups posters. The group got blocked in a similar way, making the archive inaccessible. It said the group owner could get it unblocked. People raised tickets with Google 'support', who didn't understand that there was such a thing as Usenet groups and they have no owner. Eventually the support agent managed to understand and said they would take it further. Nothing happened. Someone said they knew someone in Google and would take it up with them. It's still blocked.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

For most Usenet users, it's often a good thing that Google Groups blocks posting to a group. Obviously GG is not the source of /all/ problem posters, but they have a heavy share of them - people who can't get attributions right, can't get line lengths right, can't trim, fly-by posters, spammers, and especially necroposters. There are certainly plenty of good posters that use GG (such as Rick, who started this thread), but most of these can move to a real newserver and newsclient without too much disruption.

But blocking the searchable archives is a different matter. If Google were to make its interface read-only, I think a lot of us would be happy.

Reply to
David Brown

You mean there are people who haven't plonked all posts from GG? I told slrn to do that years and years and years ago.

--
Grant
Reply to

God, what a whiner. How can you stand to even be on the Internet?

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

Perhaps I was a little hasty in mentioning Rick. But I still have hopes that you will leave the dark side one day.

Reply to
David Brown

Yeah, that's what I expected rather than cleaning up your act.

--

  Rick C.

  -- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

I did, but after more and more decent people started using GG due to shortage of available newsservers, I removed this rule.

--
A misplaced decimal point will always end up where it will do the
greatest damage.

I view this group - and occasionally some other, like SED - mainly via google groups; when I post I use a news thingie, Thunderbird. I think I saw the newsserver (eternal September) not working once or twice last few years, may be last 10 years - but I am not a hugely frequent poster.

Not so sure what spam via google groups the talk is about, looking at CAE every day it takes months between the odd spam posts. Of course the text reformatting is somewhat unpredictable if one posts without recent experience with their web interface.

Dimiter

Reply to
Dimiter_Popoff

Google Groups introduced a new interface "with a fresh new look" a week ago. Simultaneously, major newsgroups like this one, and comp.lang.python, were locked out of Google Groups. I saw the message you posted here in multiple places.

I was starting to think about how I could find an alternate news server, but I decided to check Google Groups one more time. As of today, it is working again. I hope it stays that way.

Reply to
john.ladasky

go. Simultaneously, major newsgroups like this one, and comp.lang.python, were locked out of Google Groups. I saw the message you posted here in mul tiple places.

but I decided to check Google Groups one more time. As of today, it is wor king again. I hope it stays that way.

I still use the classic interface. I have no idea why they feel a need to change thing that appear to work fine without having a clear idea of what t hey want to "fix". I can't see anything better about it and the organizati on seems to make some things less useful.