How Much TV do Electronic Designers Watch?

I watch: House (Getting tired.) Lost (Funny to see how crazy it's getting.) Mythbusters (Best to record and ff parts) Galactica (ending) Doctor Who...(Barely watchable.) Californication (returning?) Heroes (It's a tennis game.)

Recently cancelled: Boston Legal ('tv targets young people') Atlantis

Nowadays that'll be about 6 hours of tv per week... Too much???

TV is nice if you're tired, something to watch over dinner (recordings) or like a quick change of scene.. However... I sometimes think tv is for people that have lives more boring than what they watch. Does Madonna watch tv?? I just can't picture it..Probably only while at the dentist. Is Obama watching tv? Is Bill Gates watching tv?

Television: Is it worth watching? Does watching tv mean 'Your life is boring.'?

But what about those education shows? Well.. I hate most educational shows on tv. They're too dumbed down and entertainized. I find most education shows to be dopey and turn science into harmless biased sterilized bedtime story for retards. imo..Amateur Youtube education videos are better to watch. Example: afaik...There's never broadcasted educational shows about anti-tv.

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

I used to have satellite TV, but it got so stupid that I whittled it down to CNN and BBC (because you can't get just BBC alone). I would have liked HBO, but it too comes bundled with malignant silliness. Now I've gotten rid of the whole thing. There are no words for the pleasure I felt as I balanced my dish and receiver atop the garbage pile - they were scooped up almost immediately by some poor sucker. I made an indoor folded dipole out of some old 300 ohm flat cable and a balun, so now I see as little as I need. TVO (public broadcasting in Ontario) is much better than I remembered it, having suffered cerebral decay from too much brain candy. I am recovering slowly. I get Jon Stewart for free at midnight. Free at last!

-- Joe

Reply to
J.A. Legris

I watch:

Fox News, actually it plays behind me, interesting, I turn around Boston Legal (now gone :-( Leno (until I fall asleep :) PBS series on comedians History Channel sometimes... I like pyramids ;-) Monk Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader Duel (now gone :-(

By administrative order:

Desperate Housewives Brothers and Sisters

...Jim Thompson

On a sunny day (Thu, 29 Jan 2009 11:47:48 -0800) it happened D from BC wrote in :

I worked in TV many years, and although I was (in the early days of color) one of the few with a color set at home, I *never* watched. I did watch the astron[o]uts walking on the moon and the color camera failing though... So maybe that was the only exception. And I did use that color TV as an oscilloscope, oh, and I forgot, I had one of the first video recorders, and did record some cartoons. Modified that BW recorder (a Philips LDL1000 reel to reel) for color too.

So, later I had a TV shop, and only watched test-cards when repairing things. And then we also got a VHS and rental movies... not worth much.

These days, I just tried watching Clousso (?) no... switched to 'the bourne identity' (other station), no.... and went back to asm programming, adding some stuff to some project. More fun, one can only take so many fairy-tales from Hollyworld, and at least then it has to look nice. Oh, and I did watch Obamama inauguration.

You are right, youtube is better if you want to learn something. The average attention span is measured in seconds in science TV programs (probably about 30 seconds before they change subject) so no depth on any subject. And, if it once in a blue moon gets fascinating then a commercial breaks the movie.... That is why I prefer to record the movies first, so I can fast forward past the food spots.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Oh yeah, I forgot some - my 10 year-old nephew loves Family Guy, so I watch that with him when he comes over. That, and Hockey Night in Canada.

-- Joe

Reply to
J.A. Legris

x-no-archive:

real engineers watch the BACK of the TV. with the cover off...

Mark

Reply to
makolber

I watch:

CSI Numb3rs Dr Who

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Those are on my list too. Plus Top Gear (just gets funnier, so funny I can hardly breath at times) and that's probably it as far as series stuff goes. Stargate before it finished, not into Atlantis. The rest are SBS and ABC (Australia) documentaries which are getting really good these days. Most seem to originate from the UK (BBC?).

For most series I prefer to BitTorrent or record and watch at least a few back-to-back.

You can never have too much Jamie&Adam, Capt'n'Slow,Clarkson&Hampster, or House.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Best bit from FG:

Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Watched 9 213 725 times !!! Over 9MV. MV = Megaviewings.

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

Haven't watched TV since I left my parents' house in 1982 (except very occasionally in hotel rooms when I'm completely bored or something important is happening). The last movie I ever watched (apart from snippets of other people's DVDs) was 'A Passage to India' in 1987. I do however own about 3 thousand books.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I own around 400 movies on DVD ;-)

...Jim Thompson

I watch (when I get a round tuit):

Nightly Business Report BBC World Report (on PBS) House (he's almost as big a PITA as I am) NOVA (if its an interesting subject) New Yankee Workshop (every time I bring home a new tool, Norm Abrams' name is cursed at my house). Da Vinci's Inquest Doc Martin Two and a half Men (Charlie Sheen is my role model)

If your only tool is a hammer then every problem looks like a thumb.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

...it depends on how the electrons are dancing at the time...rhumba, tango, cha cha cha, charleston, etc...

Reply to
Robert Baer

On a sunny day (Fri, 30 Jan 2009 00:47:41 +0000) it happened Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote in :

I'd prefer this:

At least it works.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 29 Jan 2009 21:28:45 -0500) it happened Phil Hobbs wrote in :

I can recommend a few movies for you:

1) The Fifth Element.
2) Welcome to the Jungle.
3) The last Star Wars (not the last one made, but the final episode).

If you sell the books, and buy a DVD player, and wide screen TV, you could perhaps afford those movies ;-)

DVD is going to change soon, too, I am not talking about Blu-Ray, the DVD forum has just agreed on a 3D standard for normal DVDs.

It will be this:

I already have the 3D shutter glasses (for some games).

There are many more good movies too, but always remember, it is just Holyworld fairytale. Little kids like to be told fairytale, and big kids too.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

It can be more, food for thought.

Well any of the 2008 golden globe winners are worth the watch:

"The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" "Frost/Nixon" "The Reader" "Revolutionary Road" "Slumdog Millionaire" "Vicky Cristina Barcelona"

Do not miss the "Gran Torino", nice one for tough man lingo.

TheM

In article , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...>

Nothing back there to see.

Reply to
krw

In article , snipped-for-privacy@test.com=20 says...>=20

42b$ snipped-for-privacy@news.datemas.de...

%20p2.pdf

lyworld

I was highly dissapointed. A waste of three hours and $10.50.

Good flick, though I don't think it was quite the hyped "Classic=20 Eastwood". At the end the bad guys were still walking.

Reply to
krw

Holyworld

$10.50 ??? You don't get a senior discount ?:-)

Seen in theater the past year...

The Other Boleyn Girl Australia Doubt Valkyrie Last Chance Harvey (a real tear-jerker if you've given away a bride)

...Jim Thompson