How do you call that (winding)

No, it is not. It is, in fact, only ONE definition. The term has MANY applications in the electronic industry alone, and as it relates to transformers, there are about 5 variations.

I have would THOUSANDS of transformers and I know what I am talking about.

You, wanting to call it a term used only for audio transformers, proves that you obviously do NOT know what you are talking about.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Rob wound some transmission-line transformers today, actually a common-mode balun sort of thing to take cm noise out of a nominally balanced 0-20 MHz signal. Weird that a home-brew thing is working better than anything we seem to be able to buy.

We were debating whether the wire pair should be twisted, or whether it's adequate that the wires just be close together... we can buy non-twisted stuck-together pairs from MWS. I vote that twisted doesn't matter, and we can fit more untwisted wire in the toroid.

John

Make sure there are no sharp corners on the toroid ID. Transitions to the top and bottom from the inside wall can be sharp. If that is the case, a layer or two of transformer tape will keep from nicking the mag wire. The other option is a jeweler's file, taking care to only knock off the burr edge.

A nice, smooth, small radius transition would also allow pairs to nest better, if you chose not to twist. Turns will lay smoother.

Then (with the burr missing), you can make nice, tight wraps without the nick danger. (can't believe I just said that)(if you know who that is). Tight wraps will yield better characteristics as well. Wrap the finished device with several wraps of transformer tape to lock it all in place,then set up and tin the termination leads. Once that is done and cool, a couple more wraps of tape at the root between the lead outs will take care of any that relaxed from the heat.

Experiments with different core media also yields vastly different operating characteristics as well.

Reply to
VioletaPachydermata

Seems that we all read what the Wiki had to say, and hat you did not and/or failed to understand it.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Correct, for the ferrite-core transformers you are using, it makes no difference. BTW, i had at one time seen a commercial balun using what looked like a miniaturized version of (outdoor lead-in type) transmission line for the winding.

Reply to
Robert Baer

No, no, no! That is PINK elephant (with purple polkadots).

Reply to
Robert Baer

I'd think that, since it's all surrounded by transformer core, that twisting wouldn't do any good, and might actually be detrimental; but I haven't verified that experimentally.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

The link that was posted gave a definition of an audio transformer. The wiki link I subsequently posted gave about four different types, with that being one.

His link defined ONE type. The wiki defined more.

In fact, his citation was lame because it ONLY referred to an audio application. So the very source was even questionable, and read very much like a layman's glossary.

You are a semantical twit or a complete idiot if you persist (but hey... that's what you dopes that put folks in your little barrels do). Well, you are all in my barrel right now.

There are four distinct types, and other sites bear that out.

Other sites define it better, in fact, but even the wiki distinguishes the differences just fine.

You are not beary smart, if you did not read the wiki you are touting facts about, or YOU "failed to understand it".

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

No, that is the one with the looser tolerances.

You all no My tolerances are very close to zero.

Reply to
VioletaPachydermata

Why or even how could it be detrimental?

What pairing of wires gains is more circular mils, but also more 'skin'. An equal circular mils, single conductor wire would have less 'skin' available. Both can carry the same current levels, but at frequency, the pair will warm less, and have better characteristics of operation.

As long as it is coated mag wire, and not bare. It is like a cheap man's Litz. And DOES work, depending on the frequency of operation, of course.

If the profile of a twisted pair bugs you because it is so 'bumpy', then use three wires that equate to the same original size need, and those twisted together, will nest together as a nearly round element.

Reply to
VioletaPachydermata

Twisting would give better HF coupling due to (slightly) more capacitive coupling. For a greater improvement, use coax cable; shield for primary and inner conductor for secondary.

Reply to
Robert Baer

The APPLICATIONS don't change the DEFINITION, DimBulb. We were discussing the DEFINITION of "bifilar", moron.

You may "have would" MILLIONS, but you *never* know what you're talking about, AlwaysWrong.

Why don't you read for once, AlwaysWrong. I can't believe even *you* are this stupid.

Reply to
krw

The link you posted did no such thing.

moron is a nice sig for you, however. So, you should keep using it.

Reply to
UltimatePatriot

AlwaysWrong, is always wrong.

We all know you're illiterate. You don't have to prove it with every post, DimBulb.

Reply to
krw