How do these smart phones change screen position

Oh really? how strange.. Works for us for angle sensing.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

On a sunny day (Sun, 20 Jan 2013 09:48:05 -0500) it happened Jamie wrote in :

Repeatability, close to metal, big metal objects, magnets. 'Works' in a limited environment, sure out _changes_. But in the wild it will be very unreliable. On top of that fluxgate compasses may need calibration.

There is a reason for those accellerometer chips.

I use the MPU6050, quote from the datasheet: The MPU-60X0 is the world's first integrated 6-axis MotionTracking device that combines a 3-axis gyroscope, 3-axis accelerometer, and a Digital Motion ProcessorTM (DMP) all in a small 4x4x0.9mm package.

Note the gyroscope.

That soft also drives a 3 axis magnetic compass HMC5883L

But for the attitude data the MPU6050 (gyroscope) is used. The compass requires calibration everytime after power up, you have to turn it around a few times so it finds north,

I have also written a nice GUI where you can wave the thing around to move an airplane on the screen. All code is on my site, and links were posted in tehis newsgroup at that time.

Your turn.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

No, they use weighted pixels so they shift when you turn the screen.

Rick

Reply to
rickman

Not since they had to get the lead out.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

This seems to be the generally agreed answer to this question. However I have no clue what these things are. Being silicone, they must be a chip, but how do they work? Any chip or semiconductor works in any direction and does not change the circuit when the chip or item it's in, is rotated. Could you please explain how they work. Thanks

Reply to
malliker6

I could but i's just be paraphrasing the manufacturer's documentation. they invent these things, patent them, and then brag about it in the datasheet.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

Accelerometers generally have a proof mass and a flexure, and they sense displacement (capacitive is the usual method on a chip). Pretty simple concept. Getting to three axis on a monolithic structure gets more interesting:-

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

then

is

Actually, usually two or three. More than enough to reasonably the accelerated field we live in.

Reply to
josephkk

then

is

Cite? Otherwise "Baloney"! Bloody insufficient space and overwhelming other thermal drives make that unbelievable.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

device that combines a 3-axis

all in a small 4x4x0.9mm

move an airplane on the screen.

time.

+2

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

then

Cool.

Jeff, enclosing the links in carets is ok for email where HTML is accepted but worthless in usenet where HTML is not acceptable. Your choice, just thought to explain why.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

then

is

The better smart phones use osmium-iridium pixel weights favored by standards labs. No RoHS problems then.

?;-)

Reply to
josephkk

Carets? You mean angle brackets? A web address in angle brackets is not html!

It is the standard way to do it in both email and usenet. The angle brackets will simply stop most clients from putting a line break within the link and breaking it. It is up to the client whether it renders it blue with an underline or whatever.

An actual html link would look like:

.

And it's still not really html IMO, just a fragment, since there is no html header or body declaration.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

I beg to differ. It's not HTML. Most, but not all, news readers recognize the angle brackets as delimiters for a URL that extends beyond the autowrap margin. This also prevents breaking up a URL into pieces when it includes spaces. It is also useful for eliminating a punctuation mark at the end of a sentence so that it is not included in a URL.

I've been using angle brakets for many years without difficulties or complaints. Is there a problem?

Your header shows that you're using: User-Agent: Gnus/5.13 (Gnus v5.13) Emacs/23.2 (gnu/linux) which I should hope correctly recognizes common Usenet structures. I think they call it "pointy brackets". I'm a vi kind of user, and never could get into emacs.

Gnus manual: I couldn't find anything specific about "pointy brackets".

More drivel on display orientation: A folding smartphone with two 4.3-inch displays The next step will certainly be the "Accordion" phone(tm). It unfolds like an accordion to reveal 3 screen, a glass keyboard, a game pad, and stereo loudspeakers. Made by Origami Industries, the folding device is a cargo pocket size entertainment center. To make a phone call, one extends the accordion fully with one speaker acting as an earpiece, while the other acts as a microphone. Available at your favorite cellular monopoly reseller real-soon-now.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Umm. I'm not Jeff, but I use the carets all the time, and they mostly work. In any event, is there a better alternative?

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

It seems to be unique to this maker. for some reason I thought it was more common.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

Easy test. See if you can fool it with a magnet. The phone assumes the magnetic field vector will be horizontal. So set a magnet up to make it vertical near the phone and see if the screen flips up on its side.

If life was fair, Elvis would be alive and all the impersonators
would be dead. -- Johnny Carson
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Thank you. I learned something, thus today is a good day.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

accepted

just

More of a nuisance, but Agent and old firefox 3.6 are running in wine and that old firefox has problems opening about 10 to 15 % of the links. It cannot take YouTube links at all. So i have to copy the link sans and past it into another browser (running direct in linux). I find it fiddly to get just the link, perhaps tinyurl is a better answer.

Reply to
josephkk

Unless you're near the equator, it'll be quite different from horizontal (perpendicular to the gravity vector).

Here's a plot of magnetic inclination:-

Mabye 60-75 degrees for the CONUS and populated areas of Canada.

That would prove it. But nothing will happen, I predict.