How do these smart phones change screen position

How do these smart phones change screen position?

What I mean, is that when the longest part of the phone is vertical then the phone is tipped to the horizontal position, the screen image rotates, so the bottom of the page is always downward. How the heck is tht done? My only guess is that its mercury switches.....

Reply to
malliker6

Are you serious- mercury switches??? It almost has to be a magnet attached to pendulum hovering over a Hall effect sensor.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Probably a silicon MEMS accelerometer. They're pretty cheap these days.

Cheaper, even, than a pendulum with a magnet and a hall-effect sensor, and probably far more reliable, too.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Accelerometer.

Reply to
krw

Don't write off Hall-effect technology just yet. This chip is used for the compass function:

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

It was the macro-mechanical assembly that I was questioning, not the sensor.

'sides, I think most of those phones are assumed to have accelerometers.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Wescott

ck

think they all have, it's used for many games so it is a must have feature ;)

Where as an antenna is something you add at the last moment if there's room left

I just saw someone who had tested the big name smartphones in a standard setup with an artificial hand and head, the newer the phone the worse the sensitivity

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Most phones now have at least 3 axis accelerometers, plus 3 axis compass. You can get all that plus 3 axis gyros in one chip like the Invensense MPU9150.

--
Regards,

Adrian Jansen           adrianjansen at internode dot on dot net
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Adrian Jansen

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

The smart phone does not change its position. The user changes the smartphone position.

Mercury is banned by RoHS rules.

Behind the glass screen are liquid crystals. The heavier crystal fall to the bottom of the screen, while the lighter crystals float to the top. When you tip the display, the heavier crystals remain at the bottom of the glass tank, while the lighter crystals float to the top.

"How a Smartphone Knows Up from Down"

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

That might have been mine from July 2010: All the phones I tested had problems when the antenna was covered, but the iPhone 4 was by far the worst.

You might also be referring to SAR testing, which is done with an artificial head (SAM phantom), but not an artificial hand. SAR (specific absorption rate) measures how my RF is being generated by the phone and frying your brain. How it's done: There is no similar test for sensitivity. The FCC limit of 1.6 watts/kg is most easily met if the antenna is internal to the phone, located near the bottom of the phone, and with maximum radiation away from the body. Tx power is also limited to about 100mw. That will usually pass the SAR tests, but also has side effects in field strength sensitivity and hand coverage problems. There is little Rx sensitivity change between old and newer phones, but there's certainly a field strength sensitivity difference with the newer phones due to internal antennas. There are also additional issues with interference from the smartphone computah section, which belches quite a bit of internal EMI/RFI.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

That's correct. On the top level models you can shake them to get the "Snow falling" effect.

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

It was a danish guy, I'm not sure if it a test standard they are developing, but it is done with a hand holding the phone next to a head, you known the way phone is normally used ;)

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

On a sunny day (Sat, 19 Jan 2013 12:01:12 +0800) it happened Rheilly Phoull wrote in :

els you can shake them to get the "Snow falling" effect.

I was always under the impression that these things take a picture, and if people appear sideways rotate the display driver chip.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Fri, 18 Jan 2013 19:55:44 -0500) it happened Jamie wrote in :

No it is not done with a magnetometer, but with those chip acceleration sensors, those have vibrating mass in it.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

some may, others work by thermal convection.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

What do you expect from Maynard, a right answer?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

If you say so. I can tell you that I have 3 devices that use fluxgates for compass and device position orientation.

2 of them have acceleration sensors but those are only for the HD park and screen wake up.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

On a sunny day (Sat, 19 Jan 2013 19:28:02 -0500) it happened Jamie wrote in :

I think you are wrong about that. Provide links, software, diagrams.

I think you are wrong about that.

I have designed my own fluxgate compass, and I can imagine plenty of situations where that would NOT work, for horizontal versus vertical orientation.

If there is an acceleration sensor, then it will be used for that.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

The iPhone and iPad have a 3-axis MEMS accelerometer, a 3-axis MEMS angular rate sensor AND a 3-axis Hall-effect compass. All the iPhones and some iPads also have GPS. Some Android devices have a barometer that is good enough to function as an altimeter.

You can get and IOS clinometer app that has a resolution of 0.1 angular degree and some nice 2-axis bubble level apps. The compass is a bit flakier- influenced by metal such as computer boxes and by the magnets that Apple put into the iPad covers (dunh). The accelerometer is great for orientation relative to gravity (roll and pitch), but, of course, completely useless for yaw.

Display orientation is controlled by the accelerometer.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany