How could a landline be re-routed?

this happened to me.. i kept getting calls from one phone number always at times i was not home. i kept trying it for months until one day i tried it from work. then someone answered it and i heard sounds from the building i was working in! i ran down to where it was and saw an abandoned phone off the hook. someone said an off-premise extension might have been used. It seems as if someone was routing calls through a third party or being intercepted at my house, as many friends, including those with ties to law enforcement, commented on my phone being tapped.

another time i had a lucent digital answering machine that was powered OFF and the phone rang several times. The machine turned ON and an intercom feature in the unit was activated.

i have never had criminal issues so i feel my phone line was violated and wonder what may have happened.

Reply to
seeker

You're an idiot, and the word "I" is ALWAYS capitalized, punk boy. Sentences begin with capital letters as well.

Come back when you have grown up enough to understand the importance of proper writing habits, loser.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

ah don't worry about it, some one at work is taking care of your wife while you're working! :)

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

Call Homeland Security and ask them?

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

Well, I would think the first thing to do is locate the people responsible for your office phones (probably the I.T. Department, unless they farm-out the maintenance under contract), and give them the Caller ID information you've been getting at the house. (Which you must have if you're calling the number back??)

If it's a big phone switch, that number will probably translate back to an outbound T1 or something. With that, and the called number (your house number), they should be able to track down the program forward and remove it.

It is possible to spoof caller-ID. It is possible the off-hook phone has nothing to do with the problem. But if the call is truly originating from work (OPX Extention, or whatever), your phone admin should be able to either block it, or remove the forward. Also, larger switches will keep a log of calls. That too should be easy enough to check if a co-worker is doing the dialing.

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

My understanding is that an off-premise extension includes the home phone in the broader PBX loop of the business and from there extensions might tap into it.

Reply to
seeker