Siemens VFD

In our 6x12 three roll mill, we use a Siemens Micromaster 440 VFD. The input power is 3 phase, 208V, 60 Hz. Can I connect it directly to a single phase 220V, 60Hz power supply?

Ken

Opportunities are never lost. The other fellow takes those you miss.

| Torrey Hills Technologies, LLC | |

| |

Ink Maker

In our 6x12 three roll mill, we use a Siemens Micromaster 440 VFD. The input power is 3 phase, 208V, 60 Hz. Can I connect it directly to a single phase 220V, 60Hz power supply?

Ken

Opportunities are never lost. The other fellow takes those you miss.

| Torrey Hills Technologies, LLC | |

| |

Ink Maker

No.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I don't know what a three roll mill is, but have you asked Siemens?

Martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

You cannot generally operate 3-phase equipment on single-phase service. You can "fake" the other phases using a phase-maker. They're noisy electrically, and in my experience prone to long-term failure, but they do work. A motor-generator setup can accomplish the same thing.

You might luck out and be able to convert the equipment to 1-phase. Sometimes, it can be as simple as changing the taps on the equipment's main power transformer. I am not familar with the equip, so you'll have to ask someone who is.

Either way, if you can run it on 1-ph, it probably won't be as efficient, or will require a higher amperage than it would on 3-ph (which makes sense). I mention it only because there is the possibility the 1-ph service might not be sized appropriately.

Reply to
mpm

Maybe. Check with Siemens. Some of the smaller VFDs (Siemens A-F?) can operate from single phase, but you may have to derate the output power.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

dunno power rating, too lazy to google.

  1. if its 208V line-neutral, then the DC bus will be about
208*sqrt(3)*sqrt(2) ~ 500Vdc.

in this case, you really need to set up the input rectifier as a voltage doubler - connect the neutral wire to the center point of the DC Bus capacitors (there will be 2 sets of caps in series). This forms a voltage doubler, so you will get about 650Vdc or so.

I have done this many times.

  1. if its 208V line-line then the DC bus is about 208*sqrt(2) ~ 300Vdc. In this case, it will run from 220Vac.

Regardless, there will be a lot more ripple on the DC bus, and the input rectifiers will get more of a beating (the doubler is worst of all, as there are only 2 diodes c.f. 4 for scenario 2, and 6 in a 3-phase configuration). in practice this means you cant suck as much power from the mains - about 2/3 for scenario 2, and about 1/3 for scenario 1.

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

Ink Maker snipped-for-privacy@torreyhillstech.com posted to sci.electronics.design:

It may work. If it does you should derate the thing to about half power. Feeding it properly with a phase converter (rotary or static) is a better way to go.

Reply to
JosephKK

Yes you can hook any vfd up to a single phase 220V and up. You have to size the vfd about 50-60% higher than the rated motor hp. Check your manual it should show you the right line side terminals to be used.

Reply to
sforrester

Check your documentation, our Mitsubishi VFD takes in 3 phase 208V and single phase 230VAC, if the Japanese do it, I'm sure the Germans do as well =)

Reply to
DSEglobal