Houston we got a problem

I had the geiger counter running 24/7 for a hundred days, logging time and ticks to a file.

It does not say much when you look at the file output, but I did see a few peaks that made me curious every night around 4.25 hours, expected some interference, but nothing happens here at that time.

So time to have a look at the data.

Made an array with 24 * 60 positions (it takes one measurement every minute), and read in the data, just added ticks.

So it is just all ticks at a given minute of a day _summed_.

Ran it in gnu-plot. Mouth fell open... HUH????

Left, zero is midnight. it stays about flat when dark, then it starts a decent at 600 minutes = 10 o'clock in the morning, At 1100 = 18:00 hours it start rizing linear again..

There is indeed a peak around 300 (5 in the morning) that triggered my curiosity.

It is an old GM mil counter tube with the mica window open. Not very sensitive at all, stabilized 480 V voltage.

From the point of view of daylight affecting the GM tube, what would be a logical thing perhaps, you would expect a dip or peak at midday, at noon, at 12 * 60 = 720, there is something there, but that is not really a major thing,

Distinct minimum at 1099 = 19:00 hours....

144524 datapoints = minutes 144524 / 60 = 2408.73 hours 100 days.

Just grabbed an old log (never really analyse those...) then here is end 2013 to feb 2014: # cat ggm_log1.old_tube.txt | ./test66 > q1

112079 cmp lines read, 77 days gnuplot> plot "q1" with lines

sigh. theories about room temperature. theories about room light.

Seems the ramp has changed a few hours. clock is synced to PC and set every morning from NIST.

The non-scientific way is to stop logging and forget about it. An other way is to attribute it to

Sure beats me.

Peculiar that there are minutes in a day where there is much less activity... and some minutes in a day where there are more...

I would have expected to average that out.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Strange, I would expect more during the day due to cosmic rays (the ones that penetrate the atmosphere but not the whole planet).

Tim

-- Seven Transistor Labs, LLC Electrical Engineering Consultation and Contract Design Website:

Tim Williams

Sorry for that question, dear Panteltje. What has that got to do with electronics.design?

--
Daniel Mandic
Reply to

On a sunny day (Thu, 11 Jun 2015 09:45:17 +0000 (UTC)) it happened "Daniel Mandic" wrote in :

More then your silly answer asshole:

Jan Panteltje

Well, asshole. It was just a question, thanks for the link to your design!

--
Daniel Mandic
Reply to

You have a clock with radioluminescent paint on its hands nearby. The hand positions affects the amount of radiation detected.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

On a sunny day (Thu, 11 Jun 2015 10:37:16 +0000 (UTC)) it happened "Daniel Mandic" wrote in :

Now for YOUR designs, Mr maniac -)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 11 Jun 2015 11:50:53 +0100) it happened Syd Rumpo wrote in :

Clever.

But no, the Radium radoactive hands are in a special container, for testing, no idea where the watch part is, I just bought the hands.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

It might very well be possible, that your design is just copy&pasted. Nothing to crow about.

--
Daniel Mandic
Reply to

Is this relevant? I can't access the full document.

Reply to
just_me

Part of it is due to the orbital motion of the Earth. Cosmic ray showers don't go through the Earth so on the evening side around 6pm local solar time you would expect the shielding effect of the planet to be maximised and correspondingly at 6am the swept volume for CR capture is maximised. The atmosphere doesn't offer much resistance for an idealised graph of the curve should look about like this.

_______ \ / \/

Same effect applies to meteors although they are travelling more slowly and so the effect on capture cross section is much stronger.

Not when there are systematic effects from the Earth's orbital motion.

You may actually get a better correlation if you adjust for actual solar position rather than mean sun. The bins are presently smeared by +/-15 mins due to the eccentricity of the Earths orbit. Variations in the height of the ionosphere daytime to night time also play a part.

You might also want to check your readings against air pressure variation too since that often pulls ground radon into homes.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Well it is not. Neither is the asm.

You are evading the question: WHERE IS YOUR DESIGN MR MANIACC?

Seems to me you are just one of the narrow minded blah blah posters who never design anything and carry on about glowball worming and what not.

Electronics is NOT just about transitors, it is the applications that count. Without a very wide experience in a lot of differrent fields you are just a bug on the wall. And qualify for killfile that way.

Enough time wasted on you.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 11 Jun 2015 13:23:21 +0100) it happened Martin Brown wrote in :

Interesting, I will look into these things. today I had doors front and back open, working on a scooter, and drinking coffee in the garden. Tjernobyl dust must be in the ground here too. In winter the doors are normally closed teh whole time, but there is a big exhaust fan running 24/7 that sucks out air and in again via filters in the windows. I can log air pressure 24/7, BMP085 running, and several BMP180 sensors ordered from ebay.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

So this is the sum for 100 days. So on average there are ~ 5-6 counts/ minute? If you break the data in 1/2 (first 50 days then second). Do you see a dip in both plots?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

On a sunny day (Thu, 11 Jun 2015 06:31:23 -0700 (PDT)) it happened George Herold wrote in :

Yes

Jan Panteltje

Houston IS a problem! It has the climate and bugs of New Orleans without the charm.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc picosecond timing laser drivers and controllers

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com

For the "one-year" graph, the "dip" around 1100 minutes might be significant; for the "2013" graph, that drop starting near 400 minutes and continuing to 600 minutes looks a bit more suspicious, along with the time-wise sharp dip near 1160 minutes. Just for fishy reasons (the halibut), pour the data from both sources into a 3rd file and run the giraffe on that..

Reply to
Robert Baer

Well, if you want, first is post questions as to HOW the electronics of the detector may be affected to produce such results.

Reply to
Robert Baer

That would be my guess. It looks as if it's bottoming out mid-afternoon, which is often the warmest point of the 24-hour day.

G-M tubes are known to be temperature sensitive. The threshold voltage seems to increase at higher temperatures; I think this would result in some drop in sensitivity.

Dave Platt

Was the periodicity exactly 24:00 h (solar) or 23:56 (stellar) ?

Reply to
upsidedown