Hot dog?

That would require the thing to be on the roof and I won't do that. Looks ugly and very tough to anchor for the high winds here. We have a metal roof on a batten system, not geared for such loads.

Oh, I can either buy that or bend it myself. But it's not really possible, those walk-ins are tiny, it is a 40 year old house. Well, Europeans would say I am out of my mind calling those tiny but ...

What I really don't understand is why there is nearly zero innovation in this business. They are still sloshing a felt belt around or dripping water on some sort of Aspen concoction. I mean, ultrasonic misters aren't exactly new, why don't they use stuff like that? I bet one could design a slick very flat unit around that, not those ugly big boxes.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

At a 6500cfm flow rate?

Actually Aspen pads are better than anything synthetic I ever tried... cheap, and change them out every season.

I seem to recall you have a crawl space? Trivial (for some of us handy folk :-) to ground-mount a big-ass (*) cooler and run the duct under the house.

(*) I had a 6500cfm unit, first on the roof (of a ranch-style house), then I decided I didn't like looking at it, so I got clever and ground-mounted it. They come in a variety of sizes from around 500cfm up to 6500cfm (or larger for commercial applications). They're manufactured year-round in Phoenix... major sales in Arab countries and Australia :-) ...Jim Thompson

Obama: A reincarnation of Nixon, narcissistically posing in
       politically-correct black-face, but with fewer scruples.

What's the gradient? At a 6% grade, the adiabatic lapse rate is about 1-3/4 degree F per mile. ;-)

It's been absolutely beautiful here for the past for or five days. It's in the high 80s to low 90s and dry, which is *not* normal here.

Reply to
krw

It's all a matter of brute force. I'd have no problem whipping up a several hundred watts generator, in fact I might have to design one soon anyhow :-)

We have a crawl space but it literally means crawl, very little space. Minor other problems: There's a thick layer of concrete over the floor everywhere, radiant heat pipes in there, porcelain tile on top, and there's a game room under the living room (where we'd need cooling) which is on slab.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

From Roseville to S.F. it's next to nothing, except for a bunch of hills that need to be crossed at the end it's all flat.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Right. It's the ice-cold water off the coast that cools us off.

I experimentally determined that the delta-T with altitude, going up the western side of the Sierra, is about 1 deg F per 300 feet, right around KRW's number.

John

I remember my young days when I royally messed that up. Was tired, stopped the car which also seemed somewhat tired, pitched my tent, had a couple of brewskys, went to sleep. Woke up around 4:00am and almost froze my butt off.

The wee detail I had overlooked was a wee sign with the word "summit" on there. That also explained why the car had lost so much power. I never made that mistake again.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Yep. The dry adiabatic lapse rate is 5.5F/1000'.

Reply to
krw

Well, a swamp cooler is only supposed to be good for about a 20 degree drop in temperature. This guy is pretty small, so getting it to cool half a 1800 sf house isn't too bad!

I did have it just in my office, but I got too cold... 8-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

A 20F drop is all we'd want. From 90-something to just below 80F would already be sufficient.

Maybe I should try one of those then :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

[snip]

On a dry Scottsdale day I could get 64°F outlet air... BRRRR! ...Jim Thompson

Obama: A reincarnation of Nixon, narcissistically posing in
       politically-correct black-face, but with fewer scruples.

My measurement wasn't very good, using the 1000' increment altitude signs and the car thermometer and math in my head. The wind is usually from the west, and it's not dry, which may complicate things. The record annual snowfall, which happens just before the crest, was something over 800 inches in, I think, 1937.

John

er

urday.

Diner

e,

7.99,

le,

eds

bout 1-3/4

ls

If it's not foggy, it's "dry". ;-)

The dry adiabatic lapse rate fails when there's condensation because the air is no longer close to an "ideal gas" (energy is pulled out of the air for the phase change). If there's condensation the "wet" adiabatic lapse rate applies (~2.7F/1000').

Reply to
keithw86

But, the most important thing is that they have a sump of dry air to work from. right now, I am basically using my entire living/dining/kitchen area as the dry (and very warm!) area, and then directing the cool air down a hallway to the rest of the house. When I was just cooling my office, I had it in the bathroom door (a waterproof floor is a good idea!) so the whole rest of the house was my dry area.

Lots of folks buy these, and are disappointed, because they try sealing them into a room. After the room has reached high humidity, the cooling stops, and you get high heat AND humidity! ;-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

Life is simpler here. We just leave the heat on all year.

John

So do we. Sometimes we heat the inside of the house and sometimes the outside.

Reply to
krw

Yep. We'd put it on the inside of the kitchen slider door with just the screen between it and the outdoors. There's tile so some water will be ok.