Holtek HT12E/D on telephone wire

Hi

I'm making a design for a system to reliably remote the state of a number of buttons (up to 16) to be fed into a PC using the USB port (through PIC).

I've tried 493 Mhz RF TX/RX modules (from Velleman) with Holtek HT12E/D but the range (for a reliable connection) was very disappointing so I now consider a simple standard telephone wire (max 100 meter) as 'wireless' is not really a requirement (more of a convenience). On this wire I want to encode the state of the switches using the HT12E (and decode with HT12D).

I know these devices are normally used to encode/decode for RF or Ir but I guess a wire should work as well. My question is does anyone know if a 100 meter telephone wire would be a problem for the (digital) signal? Would I need an additional driver circuit on the HT12E site? Or should I maybe use another chipset that encodes to an analog signal?

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks a lot...

Bart

Reply to
Bart