Stripboard wire size?

Hi,

I'm trying to order wire for a stripboard project of mine but I'm not sure what kind of wire I should order (size, SWG, insulation etc).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Guy Fawkes

Hi, Guy. Since you didn't describe your project at all, this may not apply (for instance, if any of your wires are carrying an amp or more of current, or if you're using more than 24 volts on any line). But it's customary to scrounge phone line twisted pair wiring (typically

24AWG solid) for stripboard and protoboard work.

If you look around, you should be able to scrounge a lifetime supply at any construction site. Just make a test first by stripping a sample. If it's too old, it will have oxidized in the insulation, making soldering very difficult.

Enjoy the fireworks.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Flexible wire to connect to and from the stripboard ? 7/0.2 PVC insulated is the norm. No-one still uses SWG afaik.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Circa 8 May 2007 04:44:52 -0700 recorded as looks like Chris sounds like:

I second this idea, and add that one could find some discarded cat5e cable that would suit the purpose as well. Cat5e is also 24ga. solid wire. Well, usually solid. Telephone pair cable is always solid. If one can find a three to five foot piece of 25-pair cable, one is, as you say, probably set for life with project wire.

An advantage to using telephone or cat5 cable over buying a roll of single conductor is the insulation color coding. Helps keep signal tracing straight when working a project.

Reply to
Charlie Siegrist

No, it isn't. The 25, 50, and 75 pair telephone cable used on older

1a2 type telephones is very fine stranded cable. I still have dozens of the cables from scrapped business phones. One end has a 50 pin blue ribbon connector, and the other has either another blue ribbon connector, or small spade lugs.
prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Circa Tue, 08 May 2007 13:09:28 GMT recorded as looks like "Michael A. Terrell" sounds like:

I don't imagine it would work very well on punch-down blocks. Ah. It appears the 1A2 key telephone systems are completely connectorized. Learn something new every day! :-)

Reply to
Charlie Siegrist

"Chris" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@o5g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...

Hi Chris,

It's a digital microcontroller project with low-voltage, low current (

Reply to
Guy Fawkes

"Eeyore" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com...

Hi Graham,

The 7/0.2 is that in mm2? or diameter in mm?

Guy

Guy Fawkes

The station wire is solid, but the instrument cables are stranded. There are lots of 66 series punch blocks in 1A2 systems. The largest I've seen was fed by 2000 phone lines at a regional FAA office building that was under construction at Ft Rucker, Al. in the early '70s. There was a wire room on every floor, with a lot of four inch conduits between floors.

I don't know how many actual phone lines were used when the complex opened, but the military rarely ran more than 25% futures.

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I just use bellwire or a single solid core wire.

Marra

It's 7 strands of 0.2mm diameter with a cross-sectional area of 0.22 mm2. A very common size of 'hook-up wire' outside the USA.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

CAT5 works well for low currents. I just dragged a spool into a client's building to re-wire a VME cage. That way you get eight different colors, makes following lines much easier.

With 25-pair just make sure it's solid conductor, not all are as Michael wrote. The advantage is that you really get the whole rainbow in colors with some of them. Even weird ones like purple or pink. Mine's all black with wire marker codes on them :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Solid is fine for making links on the stripboard itself for sure. For connection to devices and connectors off-board I always use stranded.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I use some tinned 24AWG wire I scrounged from an old phone exchange. Before I happend across that I was using untinned 24AWG from an old phone system,

these days scraps of "CAT5" (CAT5e, CAT6 etc) network cable are easy to find in dumpsters near almost-completed buildings. and are almost as good (only not tinned) so harder to solder.

The pro's used teflon coated wire. the PVC coated phone/network wire tends to lose its insulation near the end if soldered for too long, but otherwise it's good.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

Circa 9 May 2007 09:18:14 GMT recorded as looks like jasen sounds like:

Solder? Who uses solder? Wire-wrap and terminal blocks for me, thank you very much. :-) Solid conductor rules my world!

Reply to
Charlie Siegrist