Wire selection

In re-thinking everything I've gotten in the habbit of doing, I'm re-thinking wire selection too.

Without delving into coax and the like, can someone point me to the pros and cons of selecting amongst the following:

- Al vs Cu conductor?

- Single strand vs multi-strand?

- Single conductor, vs multi conductor, maybe twisted pair shielded multi conductor (does it make a difference for basic instrumentation wiring)?

- Gauge?

Thanks,

Chris Maryan

Reply to
kmaryan

Lets assume this is for generic instrumentation. Nothing ultra high precision, no long runs, very little outside a chassis or some kind of fixture.

Reply to
kmaryan

Need the application first.

Each type of wire is designed for a set of particular applications.

Google it.

Reply to
jabara

VIBRATION ! will destroy single strand before multi-strand of the same guage, aluminum before copper

Yukio YANO VE5YS

Reply to
Yukio YANO

It is not possible to recommend without knowing the application

All of the selection have their place with the proper application.

Dan

--

Dan Hollands

1120 S Creek Dr Webster NY 14580 585-872-2606 snipped-for-privacy@USSailing.net

Dan Hollands

For electronic use, i think it is impossible (without a LOT of $$) to get aluminum wire. Furthermore, it is almost impossible to solder. Might as well use metallic Uranium wire...

Single strand VS multi-strand? Depends on the application. If there is going to be flexing of the wire / cable, thenstranded is the best. Solid is ideal for wire-wrap, point-to-point and use as commmon power or low frequency signal "busbars".

The last is *very* dependent on needs. Obviously getting one UHF signal over a distance is not for 50-pair telephone cable.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Single strand copper wire insulated between 30 and 20 gauge. Low frequency (below 10 MHz) low current.

Reply to
jabara