Hmmmm?

=20

.

The Dept Labor forecast is a linear trend. They don't understand the actual= behavior will be anything but linear. Once the scales are tipped, the west= will be rapidly dwarfed.=20

=20

.

Was Solyndra actual doing research or was their focus mainly manufacturing?= My statement was largely directed to DoD related R&D (so-called), 99% of w= hich is job preservation oriented and of little to no value. Compare Israel= 's Iron Dome to anything this joke country has done recently- not in a mill= ion years could that performance be duplicated.

=20

=20

Good point.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

ir

est

Are you comparing the upper class to the middle class? Last I checked, the lower 47% of taxpayers pay absolutely no income tax.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Bowden

ger

Pricking pomposity is another skill that you could have acquired at university. Universities tend to have a liberal supply of self- important fatheads, who - in turn - support an active population of satirical wits. Unfortunately, you seem to have latched onto a self- important fathead role model.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

up

heir

best

is

m.

,

od

.

The people I had in mind were the 3% who pay half the tax versus the

0.01% who pay 4% of the tax (and ought to pay more). This sort of aligns with middle class and upper class, but the US middle class is more than 3% of the population, and the upper class more than 0.01%. You can be upper class without being "very rich and politically powerful" and while Dubbya qualifies as both, he doesn't really strike me as upper class, though he may be treated by them as if he was a member of their group.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

And the rest "do nothing but buy and sell" slower.

There's nothing to support that claim.

They all buy and sell the same products regardless of 'how fast' it's done.

Your original argument had nothing to do with 'revenue' and doesn't now because, if you had your way, it would 'stop' what you have deemed 'undesirable activity' so there wouldn't be any revenue from it.

And therein lies the biggest problem this country has: a gaggle of oligarchs in Washington wantonly manipulating everything everyone does. And, as far as tax policy goes, they sit around pondering who they will 'reward' with subsidies and 'punish' with taxes while pretending to be 'surprised' every company who's livelihood hangs in the balance has lobbyists there.

I agree it's too high but your 'no revenue' scheme, if it accomplished your goal, to kill what you have decided are 'parasites' isn't going to solve that problem.

I don't know what you mean by "money brokers."

Corporate taxes are high because the left spent a lot of effort convincing people it's 'free money' repossessed from 'evil business that can afford it'.

Tax policy should be equitable with as little impact on 'the economy' as possible and 'the problem' will never be solved as long as it's simply a matter of you and 'them' arguing over 'who we screw'. You want to 'screw' certain investment mechanisms and others want to 'screw' the oil companies while others want to 'screw' business in general... unless they make 'green things', in which case you get subsidies and can ship jobs off to China with impunity because your CEO was appointed 'American Jobs' Czar.

And then people wonder why it's corrupt. It's corrupt because we've given government the money and license to manipulate everything under the sun. It can't be anything *but* corrupt.

Reply to
flipper

et.

g? My statement was largely directed to DoD related R&D (so-called), 99% of= which is job preservation oriented and of little to no value. Compare Isra= el's Iron Dome to anything this joke country has done recently- not in a mi= llion years could that performance be duplicated.

Solyndra's gimmick was a cylindrical cell inside a glass tube that was going to collect direct sun+roof-bounce. It's idiotic. It's easier, cheaper, smaller, and more efficient in every way to collect the sunlight directly with a solid flat thin panel than to collect roof bounce with a sparse set of tubes.

Much money went to building their 2nd super-duper production facility, for a product they already knew didn't have a snowball's chance.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

flipper for Poet Laureate, 2012!

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

e:

or

of

ng

t up

their

er

en

he best

this

ng

hem.

hey

ng,

good

uld

s'.

can

,

Well, I don't see how taxing the upper .01% raises much revenue. Is it that you don't like them, or you think taxing them further will solve some revenue problems?

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Bowden

ote:

for

und

s of

king

t.

set up

ff their

mmer

then

y.

's

the best

l this

hing

them.

they

ting,

a good

would

tes'.

s can

US

ry,

,
4% of the US income tax stream is an appreciable amount of money - $204,322,325,000 in 2009. The group paid out 26.3% of their income in tax. People in the $1M per year to $10M per year bracket paid roughly 30% - the effective US income tax rate stops being progressive at this level. Getting rid of the loopholes should raise another $100,000,000,000 or so from the top 0.01% on their own, and a further useful sum from the $1M per year and up group, who didn't - in aggregate - pay in all that much more money n 2009.

It's not that I dislike the people involved or see any advantage in taxing them dramatically more heavily than anybody else, but the present US situation is that your effective income tax rate stops being progressive for the particularly well-off, which isn't equitable and puts more of the tax burden on people who are less able to carry it.

You should get your house in order.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

[snip]

I could fix that with a couple of 300 baud modems. ;-)

Drugs may be the road to nowhere, but at least they're the scenic route!
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.
[snip]

You forgot:

Legally, there's a loophole. Since high frequency trades are initiated blindly, it is claimed that there is no front running taking place. However, most HFTs are cancelled before completion based on an advantage in market information propagation. So its just another form of front running that doesn't get them the cell next to Bernie Madoff.

Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my pants!
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

o,

ery

was

.

ee,

it's not going to work out real well. Dept Labor projects a full 30% declin= e in semiconductor industry related employment in the US over the next 10 y= ears, and that is probably optimistic. The people of today graduating with = research scientist grade of education are ending up hacking away in relativ= ely obscure applications programming positions. You can also expect major c= uts in the usual government funded waste-holes. This country is about to ge= t a real rude reality check quite soon.

That statistic encompasses all related activities to include design and con= sulting, it is not restricted to the semi manufacturers.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

ed,

Well, I d

ojections

"During FY 2011, the federal government collected approximately $2.3 trillion in tax revenue or 15.4% GDP. Primary receipt categories included individual income taxes (47%), Social Security/Social Insurance taxes (36%), and corporate taxes (8%).[8] Other types included excise, estate and gift taxes."

47% of 2.3 trillion from individuals is roughly 1 trillion, and the upper .01% paying 4% would be paying only 43 billion. It doesn't look like much to me, unless I missed a decimal point.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Bowden

t.

rket.

ing? My statement was largely directed to DoD related R&D (so-called), 99% = of which is job preservation oriented and of little to no value. Compare Is= rael's Iron Dome to anything this joke country has done recently- not in a = million years could that performance be duplicated.

Here's another one with a $400M DoE loan guarantee, Abound

From this 2008 article

How do you figure bounce back harvest is a dumb idea? Wind resistance and s= un tracking are a major share of the installation cost, so anything that el= iminates that burden is fanastic. It's not like anything had to be guessed = at here, it is almost trivial to compute and verify the energy harvest from= those things. Something shady going on that a company with $1.2B in orders= goes under.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

teabagger

Well, you keep reading his posts and responding to them. PKB?

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

I read maybe one of his posts in 20, less as time goes on, just to see if he's the same. Yup, same. He drones on and on, always the same pompous off-topic lame insults. Is this where "learning how to think" ends up?

You might note that I do discuss electronics fairly often.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

cked,

.

ike

A billion dollar here and a billion dollar there can soon add up to real money.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

agger

About as often as you post incompetent science reporting from "The Register". You haven't learnt how to think about science either.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

What James Arthur hasn't noticed is that flipper is - in fact - being rude about the lobbyist who are wantonly manipulating irrelevant legislation which "reward" the firms that pay them with tax loop-holes and "punish" everybody else who has to cough up the extra revenue to cover the gap created by the tax loop-hole.

The gaggle of oligarchs in Washington aren't elected or part of the constitutional government. They are the shadow government that exists to make sure that the people who own the country run the country. They've been around since 1776, when the founding tax evaders set up a constitution that looked as if it was based on representation, but gave lobbyists and power brokers the room to serve the interests of the rich rather than the interests of the country as a whole.

James Arthur is blind to this defect of the US Constitution - he was indoctrinated with the idea that it's perfect (along with the unrestricted free market), and he's not the kind of critical thinker who can notice that he's been stuck with a misconception.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Actually, the nominal rates are high because lobbyists have inserted so many tax loop-holes in irrelevant legislation that actual rate of corporate tax collection in the US is relatively low for an advanced industrial country; the administration has had to raise the nominal rate to squeeze more money out of the firms that haven't yet got their own private loop-hole.

It's Greek-style tax evasion, but done via the legislature, which makes it legal and tax avoidance. Making it legal doesn't make any less damaging.

Actually, he doesn't want to screw any investment mechanism. High speed trading isn't any kind of investment mechanism. It does make the stock market a more rapidly responding system, but the downside of this speed of response is the real risk of instability, which John Larkin wants to see damped by a Tobin tax. It isn't primarily intended to be a source of revenue, though the extra revenue raised in this way wouldn't damage your productivity,

That's a somewhat partisan point of view. A more objective observer might note that fossil fuel industry is spending quite a lot of money to fund misleading denialist propaganda with the aim of letting them keep on making money by extracting and selling fossil carbon to be burnt as fuel for a few more years. Anthropogenic global warming is already changing our climate in ways that don't seem to be helpful, and keeping on injecting more CO2 into the atmosphere isn't actually prudent or sensible. though it is extremely profitable for some businesses.

It could be lot less corrupt than it is at the moment. Few countries seem to have the same kind of lobbying industry that infests the US legislature.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegenpn

Reply to
Bill Sloman