hiring

They can disagree all they like. I'm not going to think any better of them if they are unrealistic about their place in the pecking order.

You can call any tertiary educational institution you like a university. It 's a bit harder to get anybody to take them seriously.

Thales does have a plant there, and hires people to work on radar in Ensche de from time to time. There may be some cross-fertilisation.

Dutch uncles tell you things that you'd prefer not to think about. It's uns olicited advice, but delivered by people with a duty to deliver it.

The Dutch are famously direct, and living and working there was a lot more comfortable for me - as an Australian, and used to calling a spade a bloody shovel - than working in England had been, where you were supposed to wast e half an hour beating about the bush, so that your interlocutor knew that you were peeved, and why, but hadn't been given any excuse to get onto thei r high horse and act offended.

Gelderlanders. "Geld" in Dutch is "money".

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

And in English, it refers to jewels. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

in San

here

recharge

them

generous,

Apple sales are already slipping. It's amazing that we keep having crazes and bubbles and almost everyone thinks this one will go on forever. Too many people are afraid to invest and only get their confidence up just around the peak.

Lots of people are tired of Facebook. There are around 700,000 iPad apps. Do we need a million?

Bay bridge? Do that at 2AM. When we go east, we try to hit it early Saturday morning. What we hate is *your* part, around Roseville, and the Clipper Gap Speed Trap.

I think we need three Bay Bridges. Leave the old cantelever structure there and grow tomatoes on it. Add a third, structurally sound causeway, to the north. Leave the hideous thing with the lunatic tower and the broken bolts in the middle, unused, and name it the Two Browns Bridge.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

I don't give anything about pecking orders, and I bet neither do they.

Huh? That was quite arrogant. You probably haven't been out there in decades.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Slowman IS arrogant... he thinks he's better than anyone else who posts here.

The reality is that Slowman is a Pecksniffian-level village idiot who needs to wear diapers >:-} ...Jim Thompson

job in San

here

of

recharge

them

generous,

people

we

I think it was where 101 heads into I-80, or shortly after, before the Bay Bridge. It was weird.

Speed traps are an income source out here.

and

Or name it the "Big Union Boondoggle".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

thought much of.

for Phil's expertise. Nijmegen surprised me once, with a project for detecting tiny levels of ethylene gas over ripening crops by opto-acoustics, so you can't entirely write off agriculture, but it is the way to bet.

Hey, Phil,

Is this gorgeous or what? It looks even better in person.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

It's a wonder they ever let him out of that all girl school. My guess is that they were tired of his constant PMS.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

thought much of.

for Phil's expertise. Nijmegen surprised me once, with a project for detecting tiny levels of ethylene gas over ripening crops by opto-acoustics, so you can't entirely write off agriculture, but it is the way to bet.

Nice! Where did you get the blue and the black overlays made?

So next time I visit a fiberoptics client I can say "Oh, but it's not the Hobbs signature line, is it?"

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I thought much of.

for Phil's expertise. Nijmegen surprised me once, with a project for detecting tiny levels of ethylene gas over ripening crops by opto-acoustics, so you can't entirely write off agriculture, but it is the way to bet.

Melrose Nameplate, really good guys.

That was the hardest part, negotiating with Phil to clean up his signature to make it sort of legible.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

I thought much of.

candidates for Phil's expertise. Nijmegen surprised me once, with a project for detecting tiny levels of ethylene gas over ripening crops by opto-acoustics, so you can't entirely write off agriculture, but it is the way to bet.

The guys west of Tennyson in Hayward?

Well, he is in good company. Even the treasury secretary had to clean up his so it looked palatable on our Dollar bills:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I thought much of.

for Phil's expertise. Nijmegen surprised me once, with a project for detecting tiny levels of ethylene gas over ripening crops by opto-acoustics, so you can't entirely write off agriculture, but it is the way to bet.

Very pretty!

Black because it goes on an optical table, and optical tables are very DKNY except black and silver instead of black and gold.

The indigo is because we all miss Silicon Graphics boxes.

Plus it has nice manly BNC connectors on the back and 1/4-20 and 6-mm mounting holes on the bottom.

(That isn't my signature, but it's closer than the one on the prototype, which was a little on the feminine side. I blame it all on the evil schemes if John's marketing department, cooked up in their secret volcano lair.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

It's always nice to see Jim-out-of-touch-with-reality-Thompson telling us about his idea of "reality". I wonder why he's suddenly conscious of the need for incontinence aids for seniors ...

--
Bill Sloman. Sydney
Reply to

I thought much of.

candidates for Phil's expertise. Nijmegen surprised me once, with a project for detecting tiny levels of ethylene gas over ripening crops by opto-acoustics, so you can't entirely write off agriculture, but it is the way to bet.

Order one! A PO and three credit references will get you started.

I bet the sig on the Eddie Bauer version Jeep isn't really Eddie Bauer's.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Yes, there are some like that. You have met two, and like the arrogant dick that you are, assume they're all like that. The opposite is true, in general.

Ruby became popular precisely because of the abundance of high-value consulting work which was available for it. I know many who do that, and they're mostly damn good at delivering a high-quality product for less than the PHP weenies, and that despite their high hourly rates. The technical community is excellent and has a very strong design, quality and testing aesthetic. Even now the consulting is dying away as Ruby becomes mainstream, there's still no easier market in which to find work.

There is a startup bubble, and a lot of those do choose Ruby, because why not choose such a sweet language if there's nobody to force your hand? The bubble is not driven by any "new" opportunities, rather by the need of thousands of GFC-unemployed software folk to have *something* on their resumes until they either make it big (unlikely), get hired by someone else who has money (most common) or get hired back into their boring prior careers (almost none).

My point is that Ruby may be the choice of many startup wannabes, but it was the consulting that kick-started Ruby outside Japan. I watched that happen, because I was using Ruby long before it happened.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Design any interesting electronics lately?

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

I'll say much the same. In several (some academic) places i visit regularly and in other respected professional publications U. Twente is highly respected to world class (maybe not in all fields, but certainly in electro technology including computer HW and SW).

Bill, you really need to get out more.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

good job in San

people here

place

is

doing

know how to

out of

recharge

keep them

generous,

All the more reason to "rape" them for a full 1.0 percent. They may yet turn out to be a flash in he pan.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

good job in San

people here

place

living is

am doing

and

know how to

get out of

to recharge

will keep them

Wow!

generous,

stock

networking

crazes and

many people

peak.

apps. Do we

was a

because

Saturday

Gap

there and

north.

the

How singularly appropriate, It was "medfly" Brown that made a point of unionizing state employees. And now he is back to claim credit for something he had nothing to do with.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

how to