hiring

(...)

That can certainly happen, but I haven't seen any of that. Mostly, the super star is the de facto head of the design team and makes all the important technical decisions. He's also the one that stays long hours, blows away vacations, and passes judgment on everyone elses performance. The official project manager is often just a clerk to track progress, and report to upper management without disturbing the "super star". I've seen such people in various forms, with various methodologies, but always at the center of design and development. Were they to be subject to chasing diversions, management would be unlikely to trust them with running a project.

I'm certainly not a "super star" engineer. At best, I'm the personification of mediocrity. What I do best does not qualify me for running a project or making important decisions. So, I follow along, and do my best. However, I too can be tempted by diversions and distractions. At Granger Assoc, I decided that I needed to learn how to use the newly acquired Applicon 2D/3D CAD system (which incidentally ran on a DEC PDP/11-34 and later a VAX 11/750. I think this was 1982 or so. In the guise of learning the system, I was actually designing an alternative product to what I was suppose to be designing. I would spend 10 hrs/day, 5 days per week, on the real project, and 2 hrs per day on the CAD system. The problem occurred when the division VP started looking over my shoulder at what I was doing, liked what he saw, and assumed that was the produce we were designing. When he finally saw the real product, he was seriously disappointed and rather angry. Oops.

I never even suggested that one was necessary. I indicated that in several of the companies where I was employed and worked as a consultant, there was almost always a "super star" and an organization designed to support the "super star". In the one example where one was missing, was a dysfunctional mess. A "super star" is probably not necessary, but I found enough evidence that I might suggest that it's an effective organizational structure for engineering.

Incidentally, so my point doesn't totally get lost in the topic drift, I believe that the trick questions supplied by Google for employment interviews are more geared for hiring "super stars" than for mere mortals and ordinary employees.

I wish I could say the same. The most effective method was for managers to hire former associates from a previous employment. At least they were hiring a known quantity. That didn't always work when they hired on the basis of friendship rather than competence, but otherwise, it was effective. Unfortunately, it's also inefficient and rather limiting, so there were plenty of recruitments, job faires, experiments, interviews, ordeal processes, and filters. For technical people, I noticed that a senior level engineer, had a much better idea of the abilities of someone with less experience, than the reverse, where a beginning manager might be hiring someone with far more experience.

Again, I which I could say the same. At one company, the product manager hired a friend as a test engineer. Instead of designing the test plan into the production cycle, he sat on his posterior and played games on the computer all day. When I complained that I needed some help building a pilot run, I got him. It then became my job to find something for him to do. I failed. However, that's an extreme case. In general, even random hiring practices were at least 75% effective, which suggests that almost any hiring tests and recruitment method will work well enough if one leaves open a method of getting rid of the losers.

Incidentally, at the same company, I was handed an engineering technician. Just one problem. He couldn't solder, had limited mechanical abilities, could barely read a schematic, didn't know anything about RF, hated Jews, and had a really bad temper. He had just been kicked sideways out of production and into engineering because of his bad temper. He was also a former police officer and fully capable of seriously injuring me, should he be so inspired. My job was to get useful work out of him, and survive.

I tried him out at just about everything that I had control over. He couldn't build anything. Running test equipment was a problem. Documentation was not within his limited abilities. I was about to give up when I noticed that he had some interest in running the computer that ran the test system (HP 9816): The HP supplied software worked, but could use some customization. Overnight, he learned how to run it, followed by learning how to program it. Within 2 weeks, he knew more about it than me. I kinda over-did the programming requirement in order to keep him busy, but he did well with everything I threw at him. When we parted ways, he was going to go back to skool, get a degree, and eventually become a programmer. Nice.

Moral: You can't always hire what you want. But if you try real hard, you might get what you need.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

I had one of those situations recently. I was transferring a proof-of-concept design to a vendor for productizing, and their electronics guy had decided to change everything I'd done, in the process losing more than 10 dB of performance and adding about $70 to the BOM cost, whose target is $250 for the whole instrument. Despite which, he presented his changes with a great display of confidence.

I'd sent them a feasibility study with all the tradeoffs calculated out in living colour and words of no more than two syllables, but he hadn't bothered to read it. I had to rebut him in detail in front of the whole team (which included the CTO of the company), but unlike you I hate having to do that.

(Of course it's perfectly understandable that someone who has never made a single mistake in his career wouldn't know how it feels.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Wrong, I specialize in mistakes... I've made far more than anyone here, and you'll never catch up... but I learn from them.

And I don't enjoy trashing someone... except in the case where they do the pompous asshole routine... then I consider them fair game.

But, sometimes, trashing episodes take interesting turns...

MANY years ago, I'm presenting a seminar on designing your own I/C at Kodak, Rochester, NY.

A guy in the audience starts heckling me, asking questions that imply that my presentation is incorrect.

I feign that I don't quite understand what he is asking, and invite him up to the whiteboard, where I proceed to have him write down what he claims is correct. Then I deliver him a royal smack-down, such that the whole audience (several hundred) roared in laughter.

We've been good friends ever since, and that was 38 years ago ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Exactamente! With youngsters I always ask about hobby projects. If that draws a blank then their chances of getting hired drop significantly.

I found that services such as GoToMeeting work well. Unfortunately the drawing board that comes with that is utterly crude.

Does anyone know a whiteboard sofware (for Windows) that could be used instead? Of course, one option would be to get an actual whiteboard in SMT size, like letter A, plus a decent web cam, and try to find skinny pens for it. But like paper and pencil it'll end up making a mess on the desk and carpet from all the erasing.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That's why, early on, you have to let the pert chart yo-yo's know that their sole purpose is tabulating >:-} ...Jim Thompson

[...]

I've only ever made one mistake in my life - when I thought I had made a mistake but I hadn't.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

I did that once, myself >:-} ...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

That's like "I would agree with you but then we would both be wrong".

:)

tm

Reply to
tm

Put a real webcam on a tripod, aimed at a real whiteboard.

I don't do that yet, but I do take still pics and email them during a phone call.

I also put whiteboard pics into proposals and sometimes even manuals. Nobody seems to mind.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

[...]

I sure wish I could. But I don't have nearly your office space. The only free wall spaces are above desks and I can't easily reach that without working up a back pain. No space for an easel either.

Depends on the market. In a document that gets reviewed by the FAA or the FDA I would not dare to do that. That could give me Dilbert's visibility.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

There are now condos in San Francisco that are smaller than my office. Considerably smaller. Amazing.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Amateurs!

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

"Any society, any nation, is judged on the basis of how it treats its weakest members ; the last, the least, the littlest."

Don Kuenz
Reply to
Don Kuenz

Too true. And we bump our smallest, weakest, and most defenseless off on an industrial scale, just because they're inconvenient.

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Even travel trailers out here have more space than that, and can be rented for 10-20% of that cost. I will never understand how people can live in big cities. I had to, as a kid. As an adult I tried it again but after six months I couldn't stand it anymore, moved out to the country.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

In some places it is worse than that:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

The people in those pics don't have much space, but they do have gadgets: rice cookers, fans, electronics being recharged, photos in frames, and some have daylight. And they look mostly neat and organized. Not like some other places in the world.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

What Hong Kong and San Francisco have in common is enormous want-to-be-there pressure - and jobs - and no ability to expand surface area. Dallas can build burbs for hundreds of square miles in all directions, but we can't.

There is nothing much either government can do about the fact that a billion people would, if they could, elect to live in a few tens of square miles.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Some people like having lots of other people around, activity, restaurants, dating, stuff like that, and find remoter places to be boring. We live in a quiet neighborhood with a canyon, wooded lanes, and a village down the hill, but still 10 minutes from all the action, 12 minutes from SFO. That's a good compromise. In some places, like NYC, all you get is the density. I couldn't stand to live in NY or Boston or Chicago.

One problem with living in the country is travel. I know people who have to drive most of the day to get to an airport, have to rent a hotel room overnight to make a morning flight, have to park their car longterm. Nuisance.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

HK is about the most capitalist place around, but note that the guy had the option of applying for public housing and decided not to. He can also trudge over to Queen Elizabeth (or any other public) hospital and get free medical care.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany