Haunted By LED Light

I'm haunted by LED light! When I wake up there's the LED on the cordless phone charger and the LED display on my alarm clock, also two LEDs on the VCR. I walk in the bathroom there are 3 LEDs on the toothbrush, I walk down the hall and there is a second toothbrush with it's 3 LEDs, then I hit the dining room, where my modem has 5 LEDs and the router has another 6 LEDs plus the Xbox PS has one LED. There is an LED on the Xbox controller battery charger. There is an LED on the keyboard and one LED on each computer and one LED on each monitor, also one LED on the computer speaker system. Then I hit the kitchen and there is the LED clock display on the sove, the coffee maker LED display and then there is the one I dislike most of all;

The BLUE LED on the dishwasher, that thing could put an eye out at 6 am in the morning.

End of rant, Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Easy - black or aluminum tape.

Harder - wire cutters, and some other tools to be able to use them, and breaking open the things that have no access by tools alone, then gluing them back together. Or you could try just drilling straight into the LED until it goes out.

Haunting solved.

Ecnerwal

ay.

Or, since it's October, black nail polish.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

We got a new Kitchen Aid dishwasher for our cabin. Bad mistake. The controls are complex and cryptic, and the lettering is tiny black characters on stainless, invisible without a MagLite. The touch panel is so sensitive that if you do any kitchen-counter work above the dishwasher, your body will touch the panel and randomly actuate the controls. And of course it has blinding blue LEDs, to make sure the controls aren't legible.

It's like my Audi: great mechanicals crippled by insanely stupid human interfaces and firmware.

EOR,

John

,

I put LEDs everywhere as nightlights/pathmarkers, so I won't bump into things. I use bi-color RED/BLUE LEDs on wall sockets. They make a good reminder of AC 110V as well, in case someone forgot about it.

My evil twin ghost might be living in your house.

Reply to
linnix

The sorta ugly bedposts have big wooden balls right at head level, and it's pitch dark up in the mountains. If you get up to pee, you have a good chance of smacking into a post on the way back.

So I put a tritium light on top of each post.

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/truckee/Tritium.jpg

It's quite dim, just enough to make out in the dark, and doesn't disturb the nice feeling of country darkness. This one is sold as a tent zipper finder, I think.

These are illegal in the USA, but you can order them from the UK or Asia, on ebay. I think the only legal tritium in the USA is for gun sights. Possibly emergency exit sign lighting.

Half-life of tritium is 12 years, but they could fade faster from radiation damage to the phosphor.

I tried strontium aluminate, but the bedroom faces east and doesn't have enough afternoon light to charge it up. Lithium batteries and LEDs would work, but I'd have to bore a big hole in the bedpost.

John

On a sunny day (Sun, 02 Oct 2011 12:30:36 -0500) it happened amdx wrote in :

Remember those old write protect labels for floppies? I put them over LEDSs that are too bright, my power amp red LED still is visible!

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

That?s one hell of a bedpost. ugly too.

Martin Riddle

Well, it's sort of rustic ugly.

John

nd

ing

LED

o away.

er

I just noticed that on Fry's Ad Friday. They actually have something called

LIGHTDIMS Dim Annoying LEDs Over 100 Dim's Per Package Standard and Blackout Editions for $1.99

It's various sizes of stick-on in circles and rectangles. Perhaps i should charge Fry's Electronics for forwarding their Ads.

Reply to
linnix

Ours is an Electrolux; pretty straight-forward controls. The status display (a white LED backlit "CLEAN") goes dark after it's first opened after a wash cycle.

A hangover will do that. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Two words: Masking Tape.

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

The write protect labels I've used were all made of aluminum foil that had black paint on them. What kind of LED will shine through those?

Michael A. Terrell

LED

he

LED

he sove,

of

am

ve

Huh. I tought cannonball bed footboards were at a lower height than the headboard. That's the way mine is. (A New England Federal reproduction, in Cherry)

And they're not ugly. (Though you could throw your back out trying to move one!)

But, looking on the web, I'm surprised to see so many beds that have equal height head and footboards. I've never seen one like that in real life. I don't think I would like it, for the reason you articulate.

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

This it, before I added the nuclear lighting.

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/truckee/Ugly_Bed.jpg

Imagine walking into that in the dark.

I suppose I could saw those things off and use them for firewood.

John

Come on Griese, think like an engineer. DUCT TAPE, man DUCT TAPE.

{;-)

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering

He used up all the duct tape, rolling jpints.

Michael A. Terrell

That's G-r-i-s-e - no "e" in the middle - didn't you see it in the header?

If you were spelling phonetically from memory, you still got it wrong: it rhymes with "rice."

It's the Anglicized form of "Greiss." (which still rhymes with "rice.")

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

It's scary enough when it's well lit!

Good choice.

Reply to
krw

sove,

A place to store your chewing gum overnight?

Reply to
krw