Feeling red LED light?

I was yesterday playing with some lithium cells and a red LED. I noticed if I shine that LED on my hand I could feel some warm feeling.

But sort of dismissed it as imagination... Then I just tried this again, and I am pretty sure I can feel red LED light. Anyone else? No high intensity, 3.4 mA at 10 cm high brightness LED.

Long time ago I did read about people who can feel color. Do not notice anything with green and blue though...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

ht.

Either you have some really good ergot over there, or something else is going on. Have your wife, friend, brother assist you with a double blind test please. Thats point ,03 watts or less, probably much less.

Steve

Reply to
osr

Color blindness?

Martin Riddle

I get that all the time, but keep in mind that's the radiation emitted by my Internet's Largest Joule Thief.

Oh, and I measured the input V-I curve -- a full 1.5V input draws over

3A! Yes, you *can* feel that radiation. :-)

Now, if you think you're feeling miliwatts, I'd like to see a double blind test of that.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Williams

Well, a blind test, anyway. Double blind would require that the wife, friend, etc, also not know whether the LED was on, which would raise the question of how they could be involved at all.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

"Computer-controlled experiments are sometimes also referred to as double-blind experiments, since software should not cause any bias. In analogy to the above, the part of the software that provides interaction with the human is the blinded researcher, while the part of the software that defines the key is the third party. An example is the ABX test, where the human subject has to identify an unknown stimulus X as being either A or B."

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Shine it on a thermometer.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Double blind simply requires that neither the tester nor the subject know what the answer is supposed to be. If the OP is seeking confirmation of his initial observation, double blind testing as described with wife/friend is fine.

If trickery is involved - well people can post just about any damn thing the want and declare whatever test results they decide.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Or write a little program for a PC that drives the LED from the parallel port, randomly, and beeps when it wants you to guess if the LED's on. Close your eyes, and party away. Let the PC tabulate the results.

I did this to test an empath's claims of ESP, unsuccessfully.

It only proved, you see, that computers emit radiation that blocks ESP.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

On a sunny day (Fri, 29 May 2009 16:13:50 GMT) it happened James Arthur wrote in :

That, in itself, is very valuable information. The question is then, what part of the computer blocks the ESP? Let me guess: That program :-) LOL

As to my original perception about low power red LEDs light, I trust myself enough not to bother to write such a program.

As nobody else here seems to be able to notice low power red LED light, it again proves how unique each human being is ;-)

Now, on the subject of ESP, HOW DO YOU KNOW I AM WRONG ABOUT MY PERCEPTION OF ALIENS ON ALPHA CENTAURY?

That last one was a joke, but I will tease a bit... more there is this issue about the speed of gravity....... Some say it cannot be >c (lightspeed), but that would cause trouble with explaining Newton.. Now assume for a moment gravity is for example caused by a shadowing effect, cause by particles flying around in all directions, so we are pushed against earth, the Le Sage model. In the Le Sage model those particles will need to be many orders of magnitude faster then light.. So, them particle pass through you all the time. What if we were just the modulator, and changed one property of those particles passing through us, and the other person the detector? Then you would have FTL ESP communication right there. Le Sage particles have not been detected yet, but neither have gravity waves been detected directly. But particles that pervade everything exist, like for example neutrinos, zillions pass through you all the time... Now there is a new area for detection... hehe

ESP? Sure I have experienced that, no explanation I could come up with... I think the human mind, or to be more precise the neural net, has an incredible capability to reconstruct pictures from very little data, call it processing power. Not much data has to be passed between test persons, just the slightest audio link will already do. In my personal view, before we creatures even had to ability of speech, we must have communicated 'scenery' or images by just making sounds. 'I see what you mean', is a sound induced image in the neural net. As our nets are very similar in construction, and probably to animals too, there is a key there to animal language.

OK, you got me started, dinner now... hehe

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I'm actually sympathetic to the possibility you're feeling LED light. I can--I tried it some time ago--but I don't remember the power levels I used.

The back of your hand is your most sensitive IR sensor, and it's pretty good.

James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

On a sunny day (Fri, 29 May 2009 17:14:28 GMT) it happened James Arthur wrote in :

Exactly where I feel it, if I sweep the beam over it.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I've read reports of skin sensitivity to light. In principle, there's no reason why that couldn't happen.

Another project for the spare-time list.

John

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Just get a couple of cardboard boxes and some black fabric, or maybe even felt. Put the LEDs in the boxes, which are upside-down, and cut a mousehole sort of hole for the hand, line it with fabric or whatever to block any light, and tell them to press the button when they feel something.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Ironically, empathy's not extra-sensory. It's as much a part of your sensory system as sight, hearing, sadness, anger, pleasure, that sort of thing.

Problem is, everybody's got theirs repressed, because it's like trying to use a crystal set in the middle of an antenna farm.

Yes, dogs really do _sense_ your fear, by their empathic sense. It's tricky to refine your own, because what you're receiving feels exactly the same as your own feeling(s), since they use the same paths of perception.

I know, because I'm one too. :-)

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

How about lips?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Only some minutes for implementing in a microcontroller: A random generator (seed it with a timer and button press), which lights the LED for random intervals and outputs timestamp for on and off events to serial port and a button press outputs another mark with timestamp. Start a terminal program on PC. Then you can even measure how long you need until you feel the light.

--
Frank Buss, fb@frank-buss.de
Frank Buss

Well, IR is "light" - and who hasn't felt radiant heat? So it's pretty obvious that we have them; they're probably just more broadband than, say, rods & cones. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I was at a trade show, just about the time of the introduction of super- bright LEDs. Someone had a flat screen about a yard(meter) square, with several hundred LEDs. It was right at the end of the long central hallway, and it was quite an attention-getter even at that distance, and when I walked by it it was painfully bright, and I felt the heat from the LEDs.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise