Has the Philips web site finally gone to lalaland?

Assuming that you mean *Windoze* apps, did you try WINE or Crossover Office?

Reply to
JeffM

I was trying my PCB layout program, Tango, it's dongled, didnt have much luck

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Well, California to Germany and back is probably what, 9000 miles?

At the speed of light that's one-twentieth of a second, 50 ms.

So if you are truly getting 30 msec between California and Germany, you're way ahead of the rest of us who have to OBEY the laws of general relativity. In fact I strictly enforce those laws in my house :-).

More likely, with 30 ms ping times, they have hosting in California.

One could argue that, for example, the Philips home page has zero actual information content and is thus exempt from the laws of relativity.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

Hello Tim,

Yes, but it doesn't have to be California. Good companies run multiple hosting sites. Heck, even my web site does. Mainly for the case that one site goes down.

Their web site is crummy IMHO but in all fairness their data sheets are truly superb. When I need really exhaustive info, say, on a CMOS logic chip because I am planning some rather unorthodox use Philips is where I look first. Then I store the info locally to avoid the frustrating process of finding it again.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Joerg wrote in news:7Hu9g.86498$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com:

Thanks, Joerg. That works well, but it looks like you have to memorize the url in order to type it in DOS. If you run it from the start menu, it exits before you have a chance to see the results. I tried making a desktop icon, but couldn't find a way to enter the url. So I searched for a Windows version that would allow copy and paste.

I found a couple of free Windows programs you might like. They were posted to the web on March 10 so maybe you haven't come across them yet. Both are about 880k installed which is fairly large, but not as bad as some others I tried. The programs are "Free Visual Ping" and "Free Visual Trace Route" at

The Ping program gives your IP address as 82.165.198.253, with approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

The traceroute shows 18 hops from here, with numbers ranging from 104 to

177 milliseconds.

Not too bad for a couple of free programs! And you can simply copy and paste the urls so there's no typing involved.

Regards,

Mike Monett

Reply to
Mike Monett

Run ping from a batch file if you want to see the results before you close the DOS box:

*********************************************** This is a example of my ping "name.bat" file:

ping

*********************************************** This is a example of my ping "number.bat" file:

ping 24.110.34.161

Just put ping and whatever you want to hit in the batch file, save it, and run it.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net:

Thanks, Mike. That is a very handy site. I couldn't get traceroute to work, but the ping and other things work fine. The whois is useful - my old whois url made you sign in with a password:)

I added it to my bookmarks.

Regards,

Mike Monett

Reply to
Mike Monett

"Doctor, it hurts when I do this." "Don't do that."

Get an actual command line first: Start, Run, Open COMMAND or Start, Run, Open CMD

Ping from there.

Reply to
JeffM

Joerg wrote in news:5ZI9g.26890$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com:

Love the "unorthodox use" - can you give more info?

Agree on the datasheets but I usually end up keeping one from NatSem, one from TI, and maybe also Siemens. There is often just enough scraps of additional info to make it worthwile.

Now, Joerg, after you get several hundred thousand app notes and datasheets stored on your hard disk, how do you find the one you are looking for?

I wrote my own index software that runs in DOS and generates a commented entry for each file on my hard disk. The disk is partitioned into 2 gig segments to keep DOS happy. Then a simple Boyer-Moore search program finds any file on the hard disk about a second or so.

How do you manage to solve this problem?

Regards,

Mike Monett

Reply to
Mike Monett

I just found it a couple weeks ago, but it's handy to find where spam is coming from when posted through Goggle.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Or click on my quicklaunch task bar, select the batch file I want to run and click it. I can send the batch file to wordpad, edit it, save it and run it whenever I need it for a problematic website.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Maybe their network is wired with those FTL cables that someone occasionally posts about? :-)

Reply to
Carl Smith

Well, there's always Linux. There's only a couple of things I need to do that really, really need Windows, and I've been looking into using WINE - my first attempt resulted in an "I need to do more RTFM on this one" moment. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Hello Mike,

Sorry, but those are designs for clients so I can't post much. Basically it's the "semi-analog" use of CMOS logic chips. The real jewel in the CD4000 series is the CD4007UBE, just take a look at that. Unfortunately none of the other families offer anything like it, probably because that art is lost with new grads who leave the universities with next to nothing in true analog know-how.

I have designed switch mode converters around a few Schmitt inverters and used unbuffered inverters such as the 74HCU04 (not HC04) for analog functions, controlled resistors, gain control and so on. The last design (currently in layout) will feature ye olde 74HC14 on a analog board.

What you have to watch out for when doing this is cross currents. Mainly for the output pair but in the case of buffered devices also for younger stages. This is where good specsmanship comes in and Philips indeed excels here. You need to be able to gauge cross currents reliably over the expected supply voltage range and also across process (lot to lot) tolerance.

Mostly very low tech, printed and filed. I have an alphabetical hanging file system in the office. Then there is an electronic file directory called "Parts" and it contains subdirectories such as "National" and "TI". Sometimes it has a third level like a sub-directory for the MSP430 under "TI".

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hopping across the Atlantic invokes a latency around 120 ms. Don't see how you got 30 ms to

However, if you pinged
you would be pinging a server in San Diego. Traceroute (tracert in Windoze) is a nicer way of seeing where your latency issue are. Better yet, a program called Ping Plotter.

--
Mark
Reply to

If I ping

with NetScanTools I get 157-161 ms.

If I ping

with NetScanTools I get 21-24 ms.

(From Phoenix, Cox Cable)

...Jim Thompson

Hello Mark,

That's why some sites from other countries seem to be mirrored in the US. For example, the site of the popular German TV station ZDF

regularly pings 30msec from California. Tracert shows it coming out of San Jose, about 100 Miles from here.

Sites that don't mirror should refrain from lots of called sub-files and external links. It makes the web experience miserable for anyone outside their continent. But many web designer don't seem to understand. Maybe they snoozed through physics classes in school.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

I doubt many web designers took physics courses. They probably mistook psychics 101 for physics 101. Don't get me started on crappy web pages!

--
Mark
Reply to

Hello Mark,

It's still sad when large corporations fall for the bling-bling web designers and end up with useless web portals. Many semi mfgs are in that group. It's the same phenomenon as with real engineers. They look for glitzy credentials, young age and cheap wages instead of paying attention to experience. Else they wouldn't let scores of older folks go (usually the most stupid decision a company can make).

Regards, Joerg

Joerg